Question: Female DJ’s are they as good as men?

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Question: Female DJ’s are they as good as men?

Post by spage »

Over the years of listening to a wide variety of live DJ mixes by both men and women I have derived that there are both good and bad DJ’s out there, stating the obvious I know. But there seems to be a general consensus out there that female DJ’s are simply not as good as their male counterparts, be it based simply on track selection, or as I hear more commonly, technical ability. So I put it to you, are the majority of female DJ’s as technically competent as men? Do you hear the records slipping more on a female DJ’s mix, are there more key, vocal and bassline clashes, are there more galloping horses and pots & pans tumbling out of the cupboard?

What's the mnml consensus?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

As I remember it, we already had this discussion.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

indeed.
And to answer your question: the times when women were considered less good dj's is long gone. Many ladies play top notch sets, plenty of examples around. The days that you could get away with just looking good and that being enough to get booked are mostly gone. Although in the commercial house scenes it's still sometimes like that. Oh well, sometimes you like radio, but TV can be very entertaining too ;)
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

there are a few good ones and a shitload of bad ones.. just like it is with men..
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i think this type of question is outdated. i've had experiences with sexism on both sides, men whom judge women as inferior and women who treat men like they are children. in my opinion there is no correlation or causation between good dj'ing and gender.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

PsyTox wrote:indeed.
And to answer your question: the times when women were considered less good dj's is long gone. Many ladies play top notch sets, plenty of examples around. The days that you could get away with just looking good and that being enough to get booked are mostly gone. Although in the commercial house scenes it's still sometimes like that. Oh well, sometimes you like radio, but TV can be very entertaining too ;)
Sort of something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuTF86bZ ... re=related
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

pafufta816 wrote:i think this type of question is outdated. i've had experiences with sexism on both sides, men whom judge women as inferior and women who treat men like they are children. in my opinion there is no correlation or causation between good dj'ing and gender.
The question was kick started by a conversation a bunch of us were having with regards to the video link I posted in a previous response.

Also which female DJ's are generally considered thes best? There's a few that jump to my mind, but would like to hear what others suggest.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

that's exactly the kind of crap I wouldn't classify as dj's, just "strippers without a pole". More for the commercial ibiza clubs that thrive on jersey shore kind of types :lol:

As for names: sorry, market research is a payed service :lol: