Tascam DR07 / M Audio Microtrack / Roland R05 ???

- open
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Tascam DR07 / M Audio Microtrack / Roland R05 ???

Post by spage »

I am thinking of getting one of the following to record my DJ sets:

Tascam DR07 Portible Recorder
Roland R05
M Audio Microtrack 2

Does anyone out there own any of these units to record their DJ sets?

Can you offer some advice?

At moment due to some bad reviews of the Microtrack I am considering the Roland or the Tascam. But the Microtrack actually has 1/4" line inputs where the other two have a mini jack line input - I was wondering if this would make a difference?

Basically I am interested in recording my sets at the highest quality I can.

Here's hoping you can help.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

The Input doesnt make a difference.

i own the tascam dr08 and im highly satisfied with recording DJ sets over the line input.
i dont do other things with it so i cant tell you more

i believe the DR08 and DR07 are the same when it comes to the recording ability over the line input, but better check the specification sheets.

one thing you should think about is the power of the output of your mixer, if you have a separate record output on your mixer, check if it is -8 db at least.

if you work with xone or pioneer products you should not run into any problems, but if not check the power of your outputs and if you can turn them down maybe. like going out of a booth output into the recorder and the mixer has a separate volume knob for the booth output.

cause if you want to record perfect sets you have to check that the mix is not overdriven, which is hard if you are not the dj.

if you want it for home, than it should be no problem at all.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Themis, thank you for your well written response. I would be using this device in exactly the same way as you and that would be to simply record my own DJ sets at home via the REC Out of my Pioneer DJM 300 mixer. I had noticed the DR08 and will have to confirm what the "improvements" are and if there is a price difference.

When I DJ on my Pioneer DJM 300 I have each channel max out at 0db (which if you recall on a pioneer mixer is the very first red light. The DJM goes from -20db to -2db in green lights, the moment it hits 0db is the first red light) and I ensure my master output is the same.

However, on the device that I am currently using (A Creative Zen plus) which has the same line-in as the Tascam I have to keep the master output at about -10db to stop the Zen going into the red too much, which gives a quieter recording, clear but quiet compared to other people's mixes that I listen to.

Due to the above can you advise if the Tascam has some sort of input gain control? I have a Tascam CD-RW700 which has this feature so I was hoping your Tascam would too?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

The Tascam DR08 has an Input Gain Control but its not too powerful, i always have it at the lowest level, i believe its primary to boost gain not lower it.

what i can definitly say is, if you play at 0 db and go through the record out you have even space up to +6 db befor the tascam overdrives.

for you to be sure check the specification sheet here

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... _OM_vA.pdf

under point 11. Specifications you can read

When set to EXT.IN
Maximum Input Level is -3dbv

so if you go through a record out which is normaly -10 dbv and play at 0 dbv with each channel you even have space to turn each channel up to +7dbv befor it overdrives.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Themis- Another Question mate.

Post by spage »

Themis thanks for that, great news, I'm liking the sound of this device.

Another question - I have been looking into this Tascam via reviews etc and have noticed that the DR-07 goes for about £109 while the Tascam DR-08 fetches about £117 . . . What is the difference between the two and which is in your opinion the better device?

(I can't tell from the reviews what seperates them).
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i think, its only the microphone which is adjustable with the dr08 and maybe some gimmick settings.

what i see the dr07 has an even higher maximum input with +6dbv

the dr08 can be powered by a computer with usb, but i dont know for sure if its not the same with the dr07

it seems the dr08 is only 6 hours in recording, the dr07 7 hours ..

the dr08 is smaller.

i would try the the dr07, order it via internet, and send it back if it not suites you. i think both are good for recording.

but i dont promise you anything here, in the end you have to try it, cause i dont own the dr-07 ;)
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

Cheers man, I think it's the DR-07 I'll go with, I'd like to check out the Roalnd R05 but it's about £50 more and if they all rec in wav and I'm only going to use it for recording DJ mixes then I might as well save some cash AND get an SD card in the box.