Amusing chat with guy who runs filesharing site electrobuzz

- open
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

lejockey wrote:I did just think about that actually, there was something the wikileaks guys did where they overloaded the servers of mastercard etc by running a program that continually refreshes the browser to the point of overloading? Anyone know how to do this?
yeah you can use LOIC. you'll need some friends to use it simultaneously to be effective though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOIC
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

yeah let's form a movement which attacks illegal filesharing sites with loic :D
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

I'm game if a few others are? Just need to get a time when we can all run it together?
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Couple things... one, its probably not worth the trouble. If his host is even half decent then they will probably have counter-measures in place to detect DoS attacks. That kind of stuff is freely available these days some are pretty effective.

Second, in the country he is hosting the things he is doing may not be illegal but launching a DoS attack from (at least) some of your countries is a crime. I think in the UK you can get up to 10 years in prison.

Third, a public forum is not the place to be organizing such an activity! lol. It makes me wonder if next you guys are going to install LOIC on your own computers and try this from home. Granted these posts are only circumstantial evidence but they point the finger in the right direction... never a good way to get started.

The whole venture will probably end up causing you more of a headache than them in the long run.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

I saw a bunch of people sharing links to download cubase/ableton/fruityloops etc.. :(

These are the same people who will have no problems downloading mp3s too.

** these are people who call themselves DJs and promoters btw..
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i wouldn't post in a public online forum that you intend on bombarding another server. it's illegal in most countries, and if you can do it, so can they, and they also have a good way of finding out who did it and may retaliate with similar tactics. you could send a DMCA take-down notice to them, but that probably won't be effective as you'd have to back it with the threat of legal action. if they haven't uploaded any material that you own copyrights for you really have nothing you can do about it.

even if the DMCA notice was effective they'd just open a new website with a different IP, or make their webpage viewable by private invitation only.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah doesn't seem worth the fight.

For me, I just act positively in my own life and try not to download any media without paying for it.

Loads of my friends download music left right and centre, and in some ways I can't really blame them.

The situation sucks though, for sure.

There was a medium sized label that posted some friendly messages on filesharing sites, nothing hostile, just asking why they did it and that the artists dont really make any money anyway. Their site got hacked, and I can't really think of a reason why a smal record label (compared to Sony or whatever) would get hacked...
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

some file-share groups would probably oblige happily if a label asked them nicely "hey we put lots of time, money and work into our label, will you please remove links to our material?" many blogs, basic sounds for example whom run a very nice netlabel that has released jesse somfay, share links and also remove links per label requests. others are probably run by the russian mafia and there's no consideration by these folks, if they even know english