Amusing chat with guy who runs filesharing site electrobuzz

- open
Silky
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Silky »

oblioblioblio wrote:fck that. i mean actual cds pressed by record companies. like I say I spent large amounts of the money I earned on these things. Now their value is quite low.

i don't actually rip/download music myself anymore. but i've watched quite a few films and tv programmes via torrents. I try not to do that so much.

U would sell your cd collection? Like you I have spent alot on CDs/vinyl and will always keep them, its such a great representation of someones life and I can pass onto my future generations, "hey son listen to this, it's a classic". That's where my value is.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's pretty hard to do for sure. i never keep a diary or anything and lots of my history is in those cds.

I'm still keeping 20%... really transendent records and ones really personal to me.

Anything else has gotta go... ive got synths to buy, records by friends to help fund, and i've got to make my own music, where it's actually quite helpful to not listen to so much stuff by others.

(ps.... http://www.discogs.com/seller/maerhckb :) )
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Couple things... one, its probably not worth the trouble. If his host is even half decent then they will probably have counter-measures in place to detect DoS attacks. That kind of stuff is freely available these days some are pretty effective.

Second, in the country he is hosting the things he is doing may not be illegal but launching a DoS attack from (at least) some of your countries is a crime. I think in the UK you can get up to 10 years in prison.

Third, a public forum is not the place to be organizing such an activity! lol. It makes me wonder if next you guys are going to install LOIC on your own computers and try this from home. Granted these posts are only circumstantial evidence but they point the finger in the right direction... never a good way to get started.

The whole venture will probably end up causing you more of a headache than them in the long run.
i have to disagree with you on this:

one: not many of these dodgy blog hosts have a decent defence system against DoS attacks...and really, you think ISP's or governments will defend a pirate website when they go crying for help?

second: you can use Tor or other Onion Routing systems to hide your IP address, quite easy to do these days.

third: you're absolutely right...

the bottom line here is though, attacking these pirate blogs will hardly get you in trouble, as these blogs are breaking the law themselves...there's nobody for them to complain, right? (exept maybe the russian mobster hitmen who'll come and break your legs...)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i don't think the FBI is going to track you down for commiting a DoS attack, but your ISP will certainly notice it (unless you are anonymous or very discreet about it) and they may or may not respond to it. it would probably infringe your terms of service with your ISP, so i'd say don't do it from your home internet connection.

i'm going to take things one step further. hang out at bus stops with a pipe and start breaking peoples knee caps when they jaywalk. i'll be like robin hood !!!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^ haha we could make a film. you going round asking people if they download music and if they say yes hit them in the face with a large fish or some sh!t like that.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

::BLM:: wrote:^^ haha we could make a film. you going round asking people if they download music and if they say yes hit them in the face with a large fish or some sh!t like that.
that could actually be a hit :)
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

zentex wrote:i have to disagree with you on this:

one: not many of these dodgy blog hosts have a decent defence system against DoS attacks...and really, you think ISP's or governments will defend a pirate website when they go crying for help?

second: you can use Tor or other Onion Routing systems to hide your IP address, quite easy to do these days.

third: you're absolutely right...

the bottom line here is though, attacking these pirate blogs will hardly get you in trouble, as these blogs are breaking the law themselves...there's nobody for them to complain, right? (exept maybe the russian mobster hitmen who'll come and break your legs...)
If someone is tech savvy enough to set up an apache webserver and operate web hosting services then they probably wouldn't have much trouble installing some protection like mod_security. It doesn't take a genius to get it going.

http://www.modsecurity.org

About the chances of law enforcement coming after you...

I think it is a mistake to think you will not be prosecuted just because the people you are working against are themselves breaking the law in your own country. Especially when they may not be doing so in their own.

If you think that the authorities will not come after you because you are attacking music pirate then you are making an assumption that fits nicely into your own world view. That seems like a logical fallacy and dangerous. The organization mandated to seek out and prosecute malicious computer acts is probably not mandated with copyright enforcement. Regardless, a violation is a violation. That is the perspective of law enforcement.

I look at like this... if you live in a country that is willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars to have you arrested, bring you to court, keep you in jail and then report to a probation officer for a year or two, all over a few grams of weed, then assuming they will not come after you for cyber-crime is just not smart.

Unless you are some kinda cyber ninja who can make logs disappear in smoke and appear to be coming from 3000 IPs at once then its probably best not to dabble.

To me is seems like unnecessary exposure. A free pass for the authorities to fck with you. Maybe they already don't like you for your politics or perhaps they are already watching you for drugs or other activities. Or maybe you are just another easy conviction under the belt of some go-getter looking to make a name for himself, out to boost his department's statistics for the next quarterly review... Or maybe I am just paranoid! Who knows....
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

shepard you are very correct. the law does not grant you the right to vigilante justice, regardless of the legality of the actions committed by the person you would be victimizing (aka pirating). the vagueness and question-ability of the proposed DoS attacks reminds me of all the best charles bronson films. in those films he was also a criminal element, an anti-hero, but because of this he had to move from one town to the next and change his name to continue his vigilante actions. in terms of the law and justice he was in the wrong, but in terms of morality and revenge paul kersey felt correct in his action.

seriously, think it through, you will be violating your ISP's terms of service as well as federal laws, which will put you on the radar for various law enforcement agencies. in the end, you'd be a small few day headache for the pirates to restore their network/website, but expose yourself to potentially expensive and damaging legal recourse. some outcomes include, but not limited to, court summons, jail time, having your ISP cancel your internet service, being put under surveillance by the FBI or secret service (whom monitor supposedly illegal use of the internet). these types of situations have happened to people who aren't even involved in legally questionable activity, innocent citizens are the focus of law enforcement attention for even less dubious activities than hacking.

what i mean to say, is that it really supercalifraglistically is NOT worth it to retaliate against music pirating by DoS attacks. i'd strongly encourage everyone to not take part in this.