PioneerDJM 800 Mixer being used in Panorama Bar.

- open
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I have a Rodec. It's the dog's balls.
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

PsyTox wrote:
thefunnel wrote:The 800 is Pioneer's only mixer that sounds good. .
no, actually the DJM-1000 is really really good :) But you only rarely see one. Very nice mixer.
Well, yes... :)
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

eggnchips wrote:I have a Rodec. It's the dog's balls.

i still fucking hate those things.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

cloutier wrote:
eggnchips wrote:I have a Rodec. It's the dog's balls.

i still fcking hate those things.
Why do you hate them? They sound amazing, they're analogue, the eqs are fantastic, they're built like tanks and produced by a company that cares and not some corporate giant like Pioneer with its industry scrap for parts.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

eggnchips wrote: Why do you hate them? They sound amazing, they're analogue, the eqs are fantastic, they're built like tanks and produced by a company that cares and not some corporate giant like Pioneer with its industry scrap for parts.
much like how someone mentioned earlier that the djm.500 / 600 suffered from the horribly designed "master fader," i loathe the fact that the rodec's have the pan BELOW the eq's. i almost always grab it, thinking its the bass, which is 99% of the time the bottom knob, and fucking screw something up.

and saying that pioneer doesn't care seems a little obtuse. they cared enough to learn from their mistakes and listen to customers and fix a lot of their lingering problems with the 700 / 800, and now they're making some pretty heavy machinery for people to use. again...not promoting them, but it sounds like you've got some serious anger towards them.

eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

cloutier wrote:
eggnchips wrote: Why do you hate them? They sound amazing, they're analogue, the eqs are fantastic, they're built like tanks and produced by a company that cares and not some corporate giant like Pioneer with its industry scrap for parts.
much like how someone mentioned earlier that the djm.500 / 600 suffered from the horribly designed "master fader," i loathe the fact that the rodec's have the pan BELOW the eq's. i almost always grab it, thinking its the bass, which is 99% of the time the bottom knob, and fcking screw something up.

and saying that pioneer doesn't care seems a little obtuse. they cared enough to learn from their mistakes and listen to customers and fix a lot of their lingering problems with the 700 / 800, and now they're making some pretty heavy machinery for people to use. again...not promoting them, but it sounds like you've got some serious anger towards them.
Yes, I'm angry as the owner's daughter screwed me over somewhat. Ha ha.
No seriously I'm a bit of a punk at heart and like to go against the corporate stuff much like many of you Mac owners did when P.C's where the big boys (though I do have a P.C.).

I just think that for the same price as the Pioneer there are better sounding mixers out there made by smaller companies using better components.
I also reckon people go for what is ubiquitous without looking into the market. I suppose we do that in all walks of life really.
The Rodec of mine is many many years old and still runs perfect. It has character, charm and raises a few eyebrows when people see it.
Combe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Combe »

I often use Pioneer mixers (in France there are everywhere, contrary to A&H), the DJM 300 (I have one), 500, 600 are total crap. EQs are horrible. The only thing that differenciate them to cheap mixers like Gemini is that there are more solid.
DJM 700, 800 are ok, but EQs does not equal Xone 92 (only A&H I tried).
Ecler Nuo are nice, I prefer these mixers to Pioneers DJM, in terms of sound.
Best mixer I ever tried is the Vestax PMC-CX (I have one), awesome, EQs are stunning.

If you want lots of effects : take Pioneer
If you want the sound : Rodec, Vestax, A&H, Rane, etc.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

the other factor in all of this is the exact same theory behind technics 1200's...

every club in the world is going to have them, so why would you want to perfect your sound with vestax's or gemini's when, as soon as you step in to a venue, you're basically entirely lost?

people use pioneers, a+h's, and rane's simply because they're damn near everywhere, and its comforting to know you can walk in to a place and know exactly how everything works and where all the buttons and faders are.

as much as i love my ecler nuo.5, i've never once been to a place that has one. i know exactly how the fader curves are, i know exactly how the eq's respond, and i know exactly how the effects work...but to someone else, they're new to it, and they're a little tripped up at first.

if i really ever wanted to, and i get to that point, i could ask for them to get that mixer for me wherever i go...but its pointless. i'm comfortable with pioneer's, ecler's, a+h's, rane's, and vetsax's equally, but there are certain people out there that, in order to perform their best and exactly what you're paying them for, they need certain tools.