PioneerDJM 800 Mixer being used in Panorama Bar.

- open
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: PioneerDJM 800 Mixer being used in Panorama Bar.

Post by Roy Koch »

You could consider buying a xone 92 second handed. Should be able to get one for ~800 euros and these mixers last ages.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

I can't be arsed with getting fixated on gear and all that but I'm not a fan of either A&H or Pioneer mixers.

The design of every A&H mixer annoys me in some way or another and the Pioneers just aren't really anything special to me.

Happy with my Ecler here :) I guess it's good to have something more "industry standard" if you play in clubs a lot but I don't have much trouble adjusting to a different mixer when I have to, it's worth it for having a mixer I prefer when practising at home.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

best sounding mixer i've ever played on

Allen & Heath's have a great sound, but they are ugly and fall apart from my experience. the Urei 1603 is just such a beautifully crafted piece of equipment. the sound is rich at any EQ setting, something no Pioneer I have played on has ever achieved. Rane used to make wonderful mixers; their Serato mixers are terrible. these might be the worst sounding mixers on the market today.
- matt
matt123
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by matt123 »

Jolijn quite right, I did it without even properly reading too quickly copied ;)
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

infernal.techno wrote:best sounding mixer i've ever played on

I have this mixer. It does sound very nice to me but I've only ever used it at home. The EQs are full cut / isolators which can be handy but you just have to be aware that you can't get the same effect when you play on the Pioneers. My only criticism is that the crossover frequency between the bass and mid bands is a little bit higher than I would like.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

infernal.techno wrote:Allen & Heath's have a great sound, but they are ugly and fall apart from my experience. the Urei 1603 is just such a beautifully crafted piece of equipment. the sound is rich at any EQ setting, something no Pioneer I have played on has ever achieved. Rane used to make wonderful mixers; their Serato mixers are terrible. these might be the worst sounding mixers on the market today.
I considered getting one of these for a while before I found a good second-hand deal on an Ecler Nuo3 instead. They were going pretty cheap a few years ago, not sure if that's still the case. I'd still quite like to try one at some point...
ALT.noize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ALT.noize »

allen and heath have always been know for making quality sounding mixers (studio and club) pioneer were always known for there poor sound quality.

sound engineers used to always choose a+h over pioneer but pioneer have sorted out there sound since the 800 so its probably an old arguement now but especially now a+h is made in china
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

ALT.noize wrote:allen and heath have always been know for making quality sounding mixers (studio and club) pioneer were always known for there poor sound quality.

sound engineers used to always choose a+h over pioneer but pioneer have sorted out there sound since the 800 so its probably an old arguement now but especially now a+h is made in china
*their

I agree though - it's kinda like Mac vs PC these days: there are fanboys out there who'd argue theirs is empirically better but in reality it's a matter of personal preference and knowing how to use them. Personally I don't like the design of either of them, to continue my tenuous analogy I'd maybe be the awkward Linux user...