PioneerDJM 800 Mixer being used in Panorama Bar.

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

oblioblioblio wrote:why would you go to panorama bar and look at whther the dj is overdriving the mixer?
i always look to see if dj's are redlining things. more often then not you don't even need to look, its that obvious due to the distortion, but its always nice seeing someone that actually does it right.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

But I notice those Pioneers have so many red lights that it seems acceptable more to run in into the red. I'm just noticing general trends here. Most mediocre, smaller clubs use them and they're always being run into the red. One rarely sees Pioneers in the big clubs like Panorama Bar hence my statement. On the one occasion I did see one there, it was being banged into the red by all DJs both on the gain channel and master. I think these mixers are pushed too far too easily as people want more from the because they don't sound too good.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

its because everyone forgets that there's a knob on the back near the inputs that can turn the overall master gain up louder, so they have to run everything in the red in the channels and the master to get enough volume out of them.

but regardles...it has two reds. i can see touching the one as fine, but hitting the second is a bad idea. and just pegging the thing solid? idiotic and amateur.

eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

But I don't think it's short sighted in saying that they're sh!t. They've basically monopolised the market with all the fancy effects and gizmos. There are much better sounding mixers out there that aren't as popular.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

eggnchips wrote:But I don't think it's short sighted in saying that they're sh!t. They've basically monopolised the market with all the fancy effects and gizmos. There are much better sounding mixers out there that aren't as popular.
i don't think you're giving pioneers a chance, for one. i'm not promoting them or fully supporting them, but the djm.800's are damn good sounding, and they work like tank - especially compared to what everyone thinks is the best sh!t around (mainly because of fucking richie), the x.one:92. those things are tinker toys and they don't sound that great, but everyone loooooves the dual filters, and that seems to be their selling point.

me, personally, the formula sound is amazing, but its really not reaching its full potential when its not used with an entire funktion one rig. ecler's still sound amazing, and they're half the price of the above mentioned.

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

eggnchips wrote:What kind of question is that?

I like to observe. Is that a crime?
maybe

personally when I went I was just super happy to be in the environment, the sound upstairs was shitty but it didn't really bother me.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

oblioblioblio wrote:
eggnchips wrote:What kind of question is that?

I like to observe. Is that a crime?
maybe

personally when I went I was just super happy to be in the environment, the sound upstairs was shitty but it didn't really bother me.
Well I go there quite a bit hence my surprise at seeing the Pioneer. They changed the soundsytem last year to a Meyer and it sounds alot better.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

I much prefer the 800 over any of the A&H mixers, regretted selling mine but am consoled by the fact that I got back what I paid for it brand new.

A&H sound a lot cleaner but you can have so much more fun with Pioneer effects.