FFS it only took a day

- open
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

jessejames wrote:
WillieSmalls wrote:If a track is only available as an mp3 I grab it free on the net. For me, supporting vinyl is supporting music.

MP3 format is to the music industry what electric cars are to the oil industry.
So for every track you download, you first check to see if a vinyl has been released? And then you instead buy the vinyl?
He plays vinyl, so I would think that he would look for the vinyl first.

I think it's sad that you get some releases that are digital only, if it's good enough to release then it's good enough for vinyl? Especially labels like Prologue, I would rather they didn't bother than release something mediocre digitally.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Different markets is the reason why we do digital only releases.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

iainkerr7 wrote:I think it's sad that you get some releases that are digital only, if it's good enough to release then it's good enough for vinyl? Especially labels like Prologue, I would rather they didn't bother than release something mediocre digitally.
Does 'good enough' ensure you that you sell more than 100 vinyl copies.
And is this 'good enough' according to your taste only or?

define: 'good enough'

;)
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

patrick bateman wrote:
iainkerr7 wrote:I think it's sad that you get some releases that are digital only, if it's good enough to release then it's good enough for vinyl? Especially labels like Prologue, I would rather they didn't bother than release something mediocre digitally.

;)
If you think that an EP/track is good enough to represent your label, and you wish to sell it, then it should be of a standard that you believe is worthy of a vinyl release.

Maybe it won't be a success, but you should have the belief that it will.
If you don't have that, then why release it at all?
And if you do think it's worthy of a vinyl release, then why release it as digital only?

BLM mentioned different markets, why not release as digital & vinyl?
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Because certain types of house/techno doesnt sell well on digital and vis versa. Go take a look at the Beatport top 10 Deep House and then the Juno Deep House top 10. Beatport is just that fodder sound, which doesn’t sell so well on vinyl. Someone like STL or Deepchord is a vinyl thing. For me there are two separate markets that very rarely cross over. For me it has nothing to do with the quality of music, but more about the sound.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

iainkerr7 wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

;)
If you think that an EP/track is good enough to represent your label, and you wish to sell it, then it should be of a standard that you believe is worthy of a vinyl release.

Maybe it won't be a success, but you should have the belief that it will.
If you don't have that, then why release it at all?
And if you do think it's worthy of a vinyl release, then why release it as digital only?

BLM mentioned different markets, why not release as digital & vinyl?
sorry, but I can't follow you at all. It has NOTHING to do with if the music is 'good enough'. Nothing.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Agreed. You're suggesting that vinyl is a better format then digital, which is just your opinion.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

How much does it cost to release a digital EP in comparison to a vinyl EP?

I imagine it's quite a lot, and that difference would make it easier to release something digitally as opposed to on vinyl.

It's an interesting point BLM, but if you take Prologue as an example (as I'm familiar with their digital EPs) their digital releases are very similar to what they have been releasing on vinyl.