Does a track need to be "dance floor friendly" to

- open
Anteuro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Does a track need to be "dance floor friendly" to

Post by Anteuro »

Do you guys think in todays market a track needs to be an instant dancefloor hit in order to get any attention from labels? I sometimes worry that the tracks I make may not be instantly recognised as club tracks and this makes me wonder if anyone is giving them a proper listen, when compared to the vast amount of 'produced for the club' competition out there.

For example, here is my latest track:

http://soundcloud.com/reubentobias/portraits

Do you lot think this has a viable place in electronic music, and is good enough to possibly be considered by labels? Even though it doesnt exactly 'scream' dancefloor?

Thanks in advance for you advice
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

make music that you feel. I think you've got to be friendly about people that might be listening, but also be arrogant about your music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsEsOzStSg
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

(btw I think that Kode9 track is dancefloor skank wipeout...)
Anteuro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Anteuro »

love that kode9 track, a great example of atmospherics and emotion over giving people what they want to hear.
I would happily drop this mid-set though to be honest, would make for a killer drop.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

there are plenty of labels out there which dont feature cheesy dancefloor tracks ..

i like the style of your track, cant talk about production quality.

talk to labels where you think your track could fit in .. and maybe they give you feedback.

also if you dont plan on making money with it, you can talk to netlabels.
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

I really like the vocals and chords. Not so keen on the bassline or th percussioney sound in the background but thats only my taste. Is a very good track overall. Did you sing the vocals yourself?
Anteuro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Anteuro »

hi thanks for the response, yeah the vocals are me, they seem to be the main selling point at the moment :D
Utopian82
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Utopian82 »

Dude, that's a great track! Loving the vox effects.
Dancefloor wise, not sure unless it had a remix orientated towards it. But would definitely work in a nice bar.