article about engineer doing blind test of 128mp3 vs wav...?

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

john clees wrote:I have a test for you digital vs. vinyl.... the previous dj plays all digital, I play one vinyl record at the exact same level on the mixer,
and the sound is 50% louder and crispier...
I have a test for you, digital vs. vinyl.

I play all Traktor, the next DJ play one vinyl at the exact same level on the mixer, and the sound is 30-40% quieter.
Or to say it in another way, he has to turn the gain knob on the mixer up by 30-40% before he get an equal sound level as I had.

Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so, have experienced it 6-7 times over the last year.

the end
;)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i don't think the volume of the mastering is an indicator of quality in that regard. preamps for vinyl are completely different than digital soundcards outputs. one is digital the other is analogue.
SLICES
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SLICES »

In German we say Äpfel mit Birnen vergleichen.
Thats what that thread is about.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

i dunno...

they are different.... yet they draw so much comparison...

the point of higher quality digital audio is to get as close to that analogue form as possible... hence we have higher sampling rates and frequency ranges...

can our current form of digital be on par/better/worse that vinyl which also has its own short comings of trying to amplify micro electrical signals....

its an interesting test to see if anyone can tell the difference, notice an improved sense of quality or just have a preference....
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pafufta816 wrote:i don't think the volume of the mastering is an indicator of quality in that regard. preamps for vinyl are completely different than digital soundcards outputs. one is digital the other is analogue.
touché
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

there are noise/ambient/electroacoustical recordings that are not possible to master to vinyl. in these special cases digital has many advantages. AFX "run the place red", side B, KTPA parts 1 and 2 are odd pieces of vinyl audio, made to nearly destroy either your needle or speaker system. i thought my record player was exploding when i first tried to play that side.
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

john clees wrote:
ChrisCV wrote: between vinyl and digital.. as that's the biggie..

I have a test for you digital vs. vinyl.... the previous dj plays all digital, I play one vinyl record at the exact same level on the mixer,
and the sound is 50% louder and crispier...

the end..

;)
The dynamic range achievable on a vinyl is really not very high, for this reason they are compressed more. This is probably what gives the volume. Maybe this is just with older records though, seeing as modern electronic music is compressed to within an inch of its life anyway.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

lejockey wrote:modern electronic music is compressed to within an inch of its life anyway.
sad but so true. some dubstep artists get their tracks mastered to what look like one long turd of clipping bass waveforms.