Vinyl Timecode Formats Documentation

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Vinyl Timecode Formats Documentation

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Anyone know if there is any publicly accessible documentation for all the different vinyl timecode formats? Serato, Tractor Scratch and so on. I would like to find out more information regarding the actual signal that is being sent to the computer and the way it is interpreted.

I am hoping that someone may know of some useful information or else I might have to spend a few weeks picking through the source code for Mixxx or Xwax to figure it out. Those are the only softwares I am aware of with open source code. If anyone has any knowledge of any of the major timecodes I would be grateful if you would share your knowledge. Even if it is the basic manner in which it is structured.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Oooooh! I just found something! For anyone that is interested...

http://home.gna.org/dscratch/index.html

This narrows it down a bit. At least for one format.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

The FS article is correct for Final Scratch but the method used in Traktor is somewhat more refined (although the principle is still the same). Serato and Traktor Pro/Duo currently use more or less the same technology. Deckadance, Torq etc use (I believe) MS Pinky, which is different and IMO does not perform as well.

If you want the really disgusting details you can do a patent search; the results won't be easy to digest but I suspect that's the only detailed information in the public domain. However, the patent behind the current Traktor/Serato technology was first applied for over ten years ago and the method described is actually quite out of date, even though the basic principle is the same.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de