Funktion One's owner on why they're the best

- open
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Funktion One's owner on why they're the best

Post by blizt »

Credit goes to Cloutier, thanks mate ;)

"In this video interview the owner and designer of Funktion One loudspeakers talks at length about how and why he thinks their audio systems are the best in the world, and what it takes to be the best."

http://www.electronicbeats.net/TV/Tech- ... lices-2-10

I liked the part where he bitched about the mp3 thing and about how mass marketed mixers arent that great sounding :P
Last edited by blizt on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

the interview is ace, and so are his thoughts on the digital world :D
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

i can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3, CD or vinyl record on big PA systems... Funktion one or not.... all pretty much sounds the same to me....

i think dj mag did some kind of acid test where they went to fabric played the same song in various formats to "experts" and most of the time they couldn't tell the difference between the top end stuff... lower quality mp3s they could.. but thats to be expected...
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

ChrisCV wrote:i can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3, CD or vinyl record on big PA systems... Funktion one or not.... all pretty much sounds the same to me....

i think dj mag did some kind of acid test where they went to fabric played the same song in various formats to "experts" and most of the time they couldn't tell the difference between the top end stuff... lower quality mp3s they could.. but thats to be expected...
imo it's hard if you don't know the soundsystem.. imagine you go to a club you've never been before and you hear the music on this unique soundsystem for the very first time.. it's impossible to tell if it`s an mp3 or a vinyl..

at home on my system i tried it once and i could clearly hear a difference between the vinyl of ricardo`s sensefiction remix and the mp3.. tho only on the low frequencies..

on some of our parties people recognised a difference between a vinyl set and a fully digital set saying that vinyl sounds "fuller and warmer"..
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

good quality home systems are different.. i believe they're supposed to be better a sound reproduction... put in a nice room with good acoustics... where all you're doing is sitting there concentrating on the music...

then in that respect... i might be able to just about tell the difference....

in a club, with a loud speaker pa system... when i'm probably drunk... possibly dicking around like an idiot... i doubt i would notice the difference...

i've been to fabric countless times.... never once have i been stopped in my tracks because i've noticed a sub par mp3 being played... most of the time its bad djs, bad mixes, bad levelling that gets me...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

he did say in the interview that you cant notice the different on todays soundsystems, the soundsystems back then were better.

i didnt live 40 years ago so i cant verify this, but if i look at all the music which is getting released i can imagine that also in other areas the quality is declining.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

did that include his own soundsystems?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Not that I want to go into another digital vs vinyl debate at all, but one thing I recently have noticed several times here in Copenhagen, is when vinyl dj's play and the feedback is causing them lot's of problems. That's pretty annoying.

He def got some good points in this interview, and as he says there are a whole chain of factors that needs to be fulfilled before you have the 'perfect' sound.