music 2.0

- open
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

PsyTox wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote: If you were to look around the world, before Europeans came, Australia, North and South America. These communities lived very peacefully, I believe. I think it was rare for people to be selfish in an unbalanced way, tat is so common in the West.
yes, those Mayans, Aztecs and Incas were so peaceful, bashing heads in the most loving way they could, and living in peace with the people they sacrificed in huge numbers to their gods. Ahum. :roll:
I need to read more about these guys. A lot of aspects of their culture were really positive. If you look at their acheivements in civilisation, their artwork, thier astronomy. Those guys were not Barbarians.

The sacrifices. Well that's not something that gets done so much nowdays. I don't think I could judge the meaning of it without learning more. Unless you can see it properly in the situation that it happened, I don't think it's possible to judge the morality of it. I think the Mayans were very comfortable with the idea of death, and I don't believe the sacrifices were an act of aggression.

OK, so maybe South America was a bad example. But how about North America, or Australia, or India?
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

oblioblioblio wrote:
PsyTox wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote: If you were to look around the world, before Europeans came, Australia, North and South America. These communities lived very peacefully, I believe. I think it was rare for people to be selfish in an unbalanced way, tat is so common in the West.
yes, those Mayans, Aztecs and Incas were so peaceful, bashing heads in the most loving way they could, and living in peace with the people they sacrificed in huge numbers to their gods. Ahum. :roll:
I need to read more about these guys. A lot of aspects of their culture were really positive. If you look at their acheivements in civilisation, their artwork, thier astronomy. Those guys were not Barbarians.

The sacrifices. Well that's not something that gets done so much nowdays. I don't think I could judge the meaning of it without learning more. Unless you can see it properly in the situation that it happened, I don't think it's possible to judge the morality of it. I think the Mayans were very comfortable with the idea of death, and I don't believe the sacrifices were an act of aggression.

OK, so maybe South America was a bad example. But how about North America, or Australia, or India?
we don't know a lot about the habits of original inhabitants before europeans discovered those places :P

what's your point tho.. you really think the root of evil is europe and without it the whole world would be nothing but peaceful?? i highly doubt it.. ^^

you do know tho where human rights arised from no ? :P
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

oblioblioblio wrote:
PsyTox wrote:

I guess human sacrifice took place in pretty much all of these places at some time or another
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

roland wrote:we don't know a lot about the habits of original inhabitants before europeans discovered those places :P

what's your point tho.. you really think the root of evil is europe and without it the whole world would be nothing but peaceful?? ^^
I am supporting the idea that civilisation is important. It shapes peoples views.

Humans are now controlling the whole world, more or less. Our civilisation creates greed and promotes suffering.

I am giving examples of strong civilisations that are not based on greed, and no not promote suffering.

Australia is a good example. Native tribes lived there for 50,000 years. When Europeans arrived they had not all killed each other, and were living happily, and in harmony with the land.

I am not saying that life is perfect. Very far from it. There are always going to be bad things that happen. People with bad thoughts. People that do bad things. That doesn't mean we should be happy about suffering.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

oblioblioblio wrote:
roland wrote:we don't know a lot about the habits of original inhabitants before europeans discovered those places :P

what's your point tho.. you really think the root of evil is europe and without it the whole world would be nothing but peaceful?? ^^
I am supporting the idea that civilisation is important. It shapes peoples views.

Humans are now controlling the whole world, more or less. Our civilisation creates greed and promotes suffering.

I am giving examples of strong civilisations that are not based on greed, and no not promote suffering.

Australia is a good example. Native tribes lived there for 50,000 years. When Europeans arrived they had not all killed each other, and were living happily, and in harmony with the land.

I am not saying that life is perfect. Very far from it. There are always going to be bad things that happen. People with bad thoughts. People that do bad things. That doesn't mean we should be happy about suffering.
I don't think any society takes pleasure in the suffering of their people, they simply turn a blind eye.

Not saying this is ok, or fair in any way, but these things are surely not promoted..?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Ciaran_ wrote: I don't think any society takes pleasure in the suffering of their people, they simply turn a blind eye.

Not saying this is ok, or fair in any way, but these things are surely not promoted..?
"Turning a blind eye"

that goes a long way, when people trust media as their only source of information, and the media is not looking for the sake of truth... they're reporting what is in their interest to report... and generally most media companies are interested in profit.

I think suffering is promoted heavily in the West.... never directly of course. But there are millions of decisions made every day that promote the suffering of others.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

oblioblioblio wrote:
ChrisCV wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:If you were to look around the world, before Europeans came, Australia, North and South America. These communities lived very peacefully, I believe. I think it was rare for people to be selfish in an unbalanced way, tat is so common in the West.
This is a completely bollocks statement.
thanks for helping to resolve the matter so charmingly.

Do you have any evidence to verify this? As far as I can tell these communties were very successful and mature.
contrary to popular belief the ancient and pre industrial world wasn't a world where we all held hands together, lived off the land in complete equilibrium and were one with mother nature...

all of human history is littered with destruction and extinction....

like the others said north and south american natives were pretty brutal between tribes... yes they had their communities and had developed, but they would have wars with neighbouring tribes for very much the same reasons we do today - territory, control and resources.

there is some evidence to suggest that the north american indians wiped out all the large mammals due to over hunting...

in the polynesian islands the tribes there were in a constant flux of war with each other... they also practiced cannibalism as well..

Easter Island is a good example of a history that we could repeat.... Easter island is that small remote island in the pacific with the massive stone head sculptures... back in the day that island was thriving with people, various tribes had thrived on the fertile land.... they would make head stones from the nearby stone quarries as a sign of their wealth to the gods or whatever... they would use the trees there as rollers to transport them... as their wealth increased they made more stone sculptures... they used more trees to transport them.... to the point where there were no more trees... the lack of trees accelerated the water run off and erosion of the island... so their crops failed, there was suddenly no food... so there was massive competition for the little resources left... the tribes turned in on each other... and savage wars occurred and the victorious tribes resorting to cannibalism for food... the civilisation on this little island collapsed to the point of self extinction.

there's loads of these tales in human history... i guess the difference now is that our technology amplifies everything... we can commit genocide at a push of a button and we can ravage the land on a larger scale... but the root reasons for doing so are still the same..
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

there is some evidence to suggest that the north american indians wiped out all the large mammals due to over hunting...
Did you get that from 'guns, germs and steel'?

I think its interesting the way it says that animals devolped a fear of humans because of the hunting. crazy how evolution works.