music 2.0

- open
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

music 2.0

Post by junger »

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1293

nice I find. wonder what will evolve from this!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Jay definitely got some good valid points in his interview, but to be honest I can't follow him 100% on his Music 2.0 idea.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:Jay definitely got some good valid points in his interview, but to be honest I can't follow him 100% on his Music 2.0 idea.
Same as me.

I have been thinking about it most of today and I just dont get it. I'm not into the way he is turning his back on the industry that essentially made him. I don't know him and how much money he has so I am speculating, but I feel like the only reason he can do these sorts of things is because as some point he charged large fees, so to me it seems stupid to bash the industry as money whores when at some point he may have charged a promoter a large fee.

Its good that he is helping charity though, but there are quite a few holes in what he is saying.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i like his idea on cheaper clubs

the direction where some DJs who released some hits, get 1000 Euro and more for 2 hours work is beyond me.

i dont even want to speak about people like guetta, luciano or even ricardo who cash 500.000 euro and more per anno.

support more local DJs, and DJs who actually are more interested in playing music than money.
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Roy Koch »

Themis wrote:i like his idea on cheaper clubs

the direction where some DJs who released some hits, get 1000 Euro and more for 2 hours work is beyond me.

i dont even want to speak about people like guetta, luciano or even ricardo who cash 500.000 euro and more per anno.

support more local DJs, and DJs who actually are more interested in playing music than money.
If you could get $10.000 for a gig, why would you charge $1000? I know I wouldn't. There is nothing wrong with charging big, if you bring in a lot of revenues to the organisers. If a DJ costs too much compared to the revenues you bring in you will soon not be booked anymore.
I'd say, just let the market do it's job. Apparently a lot of people don't mind paying very high ticket/drink prices for often mediocre DJ's. I don't like it either, but that's how it works. The average club goer isn't as picky as the average reader on mnml.nl or RA.

BTW, does Jay Haze really think that people without a proper roof under their head care about if they can afford going to a club or not? I think they have other priorities.
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

Themis wrote: BTW, does Jay Haze really think that people without a proper roof under their head care about if they can afford going to a club or not? I think they have other priorities.
i think the point is that music(culture in general) should be affordable by anyone rich or poor that is...
for exemple: why the opera has to be so expensive? so if i have no money i can't be acculturate?
that's an old story though...
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Roy Koch »

jaco wrote:
Themis wrote: BTW, does Jay Haze really think that people without a proper roof under their head care about if they can afford going to a club or not? I think they have other priorities.
i think the point is that music(culture in general) should be affordable by anyone rich or poor that is...
for exemple: why the opera has to be so expensive? so if i have no money i can't be acculturate?
that's an old story though...
Well, everybody can start his own (house) party. Sure music should be affordable, but seeing the famous costs money. Ain't that strange to me. And opera is expensive, because it costs a lot to perform.

I really think Jay's points are way too utopistic/unreleastic.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i think yours are too much matched to the current standards.

as jay says you can change things

and why famous people have to charge much if they play in a poor country?
is this some sort of law? if you can take it you have to take it?

and why should it be expansiv to perform an opera if the people who play dont charge much ?

you are right, its not realistic if you constantly work with people whos only goal is to make more money.

money is in our world and we have to live with it, but dont make a big market with demands and supplys out of music, cause music was long there before money existed and will be long there after money dont exist any more.