Buy a TR-707 or wait and get a Machinedrum?

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

coldfuture wrote:every sound has its own individual outs
this is so important in a drum machine.

the machine drum would be perfect with twice as many outputs.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

bought 2 weeks ago a 707 for $125. really like it!

Jesus I had to pay £220. Its a mint model though and its my Christmas present! :)
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

Just sold mine for $200 a few weeks ago

They're cool but there are better beasts out there
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Just sold mine for $200 a few weeks ago

They're cool but there are better beasts out there
such as? was thinking of combining with an electribe either EMX or ESX, with the intention of playing live, also using a CDJ for vocal snippets.

Also maybe using Ableton - still undecided.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

tone-def wrote:
coldfuture wrote:every sound has its own individual outs
this is so important in a drum machine.

the machine drum would be perfect with twice as many outputs.
Well another way to say it would be the Machinedrum IS perfect because it has so much onboard processing that only a couple of sounds need to go out individually.

I mean how much more do you need on a drum sound besides, pitch, decay, retrigger, amplitude modulation, EQ, high pass filter, low pass filter, distortion, bitcrusher, delay, reverb, and an individual LFO applicable to all of of the above plus a master buss compressor? (most of these are per part, and there are 16 parts on the MD).

Sometimes this forum makes it sound like you need a NASA space station to make a kick drum. (not directed at you specifically Tone)
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

::BLM:: wrote:707 is pointless, all it does it play the samples. You might as well just download them from the internet.
great advise. I had a chance to buy one for $100 US at a pawnshop, went back two weeks later and it was gone. My idea was just to have it as a collectors piece. that's a lot of cash for something with so many limits. the longer I produce the more important it is for me to be able to get out creative ideas instantly ....having to study the owners manual just to play simple basic patterns seems like a massive road block.

as stated above, get the drum samples, and just use any software to arrange new patterns using a 707 drum kit...

perhaps I can upload one for you...lol
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

My idea was just to have it as a collectors piece. that's a lot of cash for something with so many limits.
ironically you could say that about vinyl (playing devils advocate - sound like Chris here!)
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

john clees wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:707 is pointless, all it does it play the samples. You might as well just download them from the internet.
great advise. I had a chance to buy one for $100 US at a pawnshop, went back two weeks later and it was gone. My idea was just to have it as a collectors piece. that's a lot of cash for something with so many limits. the longer I produce the more important it is for me to be able to get out creative ideas instantly ....having to study the owners manual just to play simple basic patterns seems like a massive road block.

as stated above, get the drum samples, and just use any software to arrange new patterns using a 707 drum kit...

perhaps I can upload one for you...lol
Yes I know, I even use Abe's 707 drumkit sounds. I suppose the idea is using the limitaitons of this piece of kit to my advantage. Thinking 'Right, this is what I have and I'm going to use only this and use it well.'