Buy a TR-707 or wait and get a Machinedrum?

- open
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Buy a TR-707 or wait and get a Machinedrum?

Post by eggnchips »

At the moment I'm obsessed with the Tr 707 sounds and would love a real one.

With the 707 being sample based and all that lark, would it make more sense to put the 300€ that they sell for towards a Machinedrum that I'm also drooling over at the moment?

Would I be able to recreate the same feel,vibe and characteristics with a Machinedrum loaded with 707 samples?

The Machinedrum will have to wait as I don't have +1000€.

cheers,
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Buy a TR-707 or wait and get a Machinedrum?

Post by coldfuture »

eggnchips wrote:At the moment I'm obsessed with the Tr 707 sounds and would love a real one.

With the 707 being sample based and all that lark, would it make more sense to put the 300€ that they sell for towards a Machinedrum that I'm also drooling over at the moment?

Would I be able to recreate the same feel,vibe and characteristics with a Machinedrum loaded with 707 samples?

The Machinedrum will have to wait as I don't have +1000€.

cheers,
I love both and at the moment am saving to get a 707, but if I had to have one it would be my Machinedrum all the way. I use it everyday and its a vital piece of kit.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

the 727 is way more interesting, if you ask me.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

707 is pointless, all it does it play the samples. You might as well just download them from the internet.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

::BLM:: wrote:707 is pointless, all it does it play the samples. You might as well just download them from the internet.
Not quite true, it plays back said samples in a quite punchy fashion that really comes thru if you are doing acid, and it also has a handy built in din sync output and every sound has its own individual outs so you can make a lot of techno tracks using just it and some guitar pedals.

Still, not one you want to have as your only drum machine, the Machinedrum is much better suited to being the centerpiece.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i own a 707, bought it in '99 for about $400. here's the deal, it's a great machine, but it is neither straightforward nor intuitive to program. actually you won't be able to make a drum pattern without heavily studying the user manual. it's really useful if you are driving it from a laptop via MIDI, as you can trigger the drum sounds with software instead of relying on the archaic onboard programming. also, mine is slowly dying, the display doesn't work even after it is turned on, and then randomly comes up. from what i know about half the units ever produced have had their power transformer burn out, which can permanently kill the machine if it damages the processor.

i'm with cloutier, i like my 707, but the 727 is much better for techno/house and it's sample set is considerably more modern. it's the latin/hand percussion version, which doesn't have snare or kick, but when combined with another drum machine adds a lot of flavour to beats.

to sum up, yeah it's cool to own. but for $400 you could buy something that will last longer and have more functionality and samples than a 707. i would say you should be prepared to open the unit yourself and know how to use a soldering iron if anything goes wrong (which isn't likely, but in the realm of "it might happen"). if you're okay with that, and a patient person, go ahead buy one, the user manual as well as electric schematics are available online for you DIY'ers. if that's not your bag i can just sample my machine and send you the wav files (which is free :P).
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

just bought a mint 707 looking forward to having a bash on it.
OSantiago
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by OSantiago »

I bought 2 weeks ago a 707 for $125. really like it!