How much is too much to pay for a new record

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

depends on the track :D

new, if its a really great ep 12-14 euro is no problem.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

Sketches was released on CD last week so Discogs prices will come crashing down. I bought the CD for £14, ripped it, then sold it on Discogs for £16 the same day.

The majority of limited releases hold their retail value, ultimately it's the music pressed on them that counts. If it's worth playing then it's worth paying for, sleep on them and you end up paying 2/3 times the original price.
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

I agree with the sentiment of if it being a good release and if its limited enough and especially something unique ( off-genre remix like a techno artist doing a downtempo industrial version or something ) then I'd pay a good amount for it.

Vinyl like that tends to appreciate so it's always nice to have something like that as a part of your collection.

The problem with limited is if it's really successful and sells fast there will almost always be a repress a few years down the road for if not immediately after its out of stock and those tend to be quite a bit cheaper.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

I just noticed this yesterday too whilst browsing Juno. Theo single sided selling for £12.. and another record selling for £16.. ridiculous!

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/412382-01.htm

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/409159-01.htm

edit: Though I did buy Ability II - Pressure Dub single sided for £9.50.. haha I guess it depends on how much you are willing to pay..
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

That ability 2 record i bought for 4.50 from a second hand shop in London. Yesterday I bought a brand new record for £14.99. It came to about £18 with P+P all in all. I dont normally do this, but I love this track and if I know I am going to play in the clubs for ages I can justify it as the money i get from my gigs will cover the cost of it. £20 essentially for something that I am going to enjoy for the rest of my life seems like nothing to me. I have spent a lot more on the second hand market.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

you can never pay too much for a record that you really like and want.
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

New Guy wrote:you can never pay too much for a record that you really like and want.
Great, I will sell my best record to you for 500.000 Euros! :P