mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Duncan, calm yourself! ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Jesse Somfay wrote:Duncan, calm yourself! ;)

he's just too emotional today... got a nice present from me. :P
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

hehehe
delayer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by delayer »

Jesse Somfay wrote:For me, being a musician has nothing to do with all the technicalities...they are useful as tools, but that's not what it means to be a musician for me. For me being a musician holds the meaning of just doing it out of love and the desire to express myself in a language far beyond the reach of words.

It's simply about doing it out of love and expression without a care for fitting any mold. That's what it means for me. To speak freely with vibrations.
i totally agree with you .... as music is art, the logical conclusion is that a real musician is an artist who expresses his perception (emotions, nature, environment, mood, idea) through sound - everyone who has talent for something is automatically more sensitive for the same than ones without it ....

Ive met ppl who intend to make music but they just don t get the philosophical side ... the same people might learn / experience every sound in a piece of software and still havent that innate element .... maybe the same person can show splendid results at sth else

making music (and not only music, also other arts) is not a game or i-wanna-be-a-dj-because-it-s-cool thing, if someone is an artist he just feels something in himself that wants to stream out of him and become vivid.... it just ought to be that way ....

Im not claiming that the technical side is not important ... technic/hardware/software is just the "extern" part of it .... i know few people who have that problem (including myself), people who have experienced perception that automatically came with the music they listen to, since childhood, but it takes a hard time to learn how to let it out of you ....

Thats why im selective in naming someone an artist ... there are many elements .... look at autechre .... they make perfect sounds, perfect music .... in technical terms, they have always been evoluting .... but everyone who likes their music knows that the two guys have a whole "inner world", a concept/idea inside themselves which has been exported as the sounds we hear ...
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

IMHO

Being a musician and a songwriter is more important than being just an electronic music producer. If you never take it upon yourself to become a musician than you never learn the dicipline you are going to need to stay at the top of you game at both. 90% of the "electronic music producers" i see have no idea how to play anything really and end up letting the computer make the music for them and the tracks end up being lifeless and bland. If you really want to be a good producer you should take the time to learn how to play something not for the skill but for the dicipline. After that everything else will run on instinct alone. Also if you ever have the chance to work with musicians, how can you know how to tell them what you want if you never learned how to play anything. Making new sounds and step programming them is never going to be enough. The electronic needs people to put forth that extra effort to breathe life into the machines instead of letting the machines suck the soul out of them. That is the difference between the "good" tracks and the "great" ones that get played for 20 years after they were made.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Torque wrote:IMHO

Being a musician and a songwriter is more important than being just an electronic music producer. If you never take it upon yourself to become a musician than you never learn the dicipline you are going to need to stay at the top of you game at both. 90% of the "electronic music producers" i see have no idea how to play anything really and end up letting the computer make the music for them and the tracks end up being lifeless and bland. If you really want to be a good producer you should take the time to learn how to play something not for the skill but for the dicipline. After that everything else will run on instinct alone. Also if you ever have the chance to work with musicians, how can you know how to tell them what you want if you never learned how to play anything. Making new sounds and step programming them is never going to be enough. The electronic needs people to put forth that extra effort to breathe life into the machines instead of letting the machines suck the soul out of them. That is the difference between the "good" tracks and the "great" ones that get played for 20 years after they were made.

guru style... :)