what it means to be a musician...

- open
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

plaster wrote:but sometimes i know to have a dead end just because of the mice and bars in ableton. hahaha.
that´s what i´m talking about, it shouldn´t happen.
zero.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

hmm, okay so what do you think it needs to be first in order to achieve a certain level of mastership...

does one need to be a dj first and then start producing or vice versa?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

if planning to be a dj is just djing, it´s like being an interpreter but not a musician in fact. it´s like when someone writes a song and someone else performs it.

with djing/producing is the same, it´s about composition and performing.
what has happened to me is that production came first and djing has popped up as a technical need, but i don´t think there´s a preconceived order, it depends on oneself.

to achieve mastership you gotta take over both anyway, no matter what came first. i´m mainly talking about the producing side, i know many dj´s who are tops and they don´t produce (nor they can or want), but they can never play their 'own' music... and that is the thing i guess, to play 'ones' music...
zero.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

midi wrote:
with djing/producing is the same, it´s about composition and performing.

i don't agree with you about the dj/producing part...it's not the same if you managed to figure that out. djing is really narrowed to the point where a person can only influence frequency responses and an intermediate flow between tracks. while production or live performance is a whole different world.
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

i completely agree, that´s exactly the matter of the question here.

it´s not at all the same a dj set (just performing) than a liveset (performing your own music).
don´t take me wrong, dj sets are amazing (that´s what any sane person would offen play) but if there is no single track of your own in your set it´s just performing someone else´s music.
zero.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

some ppl take djing as a substitute for their lack of musical creativity, altho i see that many dj's at some point move to production just because they got fed up with only playing music from other ppl.

i wish others could say their view on this, anyone?
daemon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daemon »

i think there is no need for a good producer to dj... i dont get that part
for sure if you see how many producers that wanna be a dj suck at it :)

but the other way around is certainly the way a dj evolves i guess....
you wanna do more than just playing records and you want to hear the public scream not only when you are playin someone else' s music but you wanna hear them scream at your own music

and ppl djing as a substitute for not being creative, i guess then they suck at djing too ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

daemon wrote:i think there is no need for a good producer to dj... i dont get that part
for sure if you see how many producers that wanna be a dj suck at it :)
well, there is if the market insists on that matter...well, lately all i can see are producers who only do live acts and hardly ever dj. maybe that's only the problem in minimal community. i mean, only we have netlabels, haven't seen any other genre with them, so i guess there areba lot of tangents.

aanyway, sometimes a live performance might be too expencive and the promotor would like to book you as a dj. what then... diss the gig cos u suck at it?