R.I.P. Technics 1210 ??

- open
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i got my 1200mk2 for 400USD. i bought it last year when there was the "rumor" of technics demise. saw it in a record shop, just sitting there calling my name sweetly. "buy me buy me". best piece of equipment i've ever purchased.

it's mind boggling. there's nothing on the market that is even close to how quality 1200's are.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

pafufta816 wrote:i got my 1200mk2 for 400USD. i bought it last year when there was the "rumor" of technics demise. saw it in a record shop, just sitting there calling my name sweetly. "buy me buy me". best piece of equipment i've ever purchased.

it's mind boggling. there's nothing on the market that is even close to how quality 1200's are.
^

so true.. i aswell can clearly honest without any doubt say, that my mk5's are the best product i've ever bought.. i wish they'd make cars too..
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I was very surprised when I heard that Techniques was going to axe the 1200s. To be honest I think they priced themselves out of the market but if I were in an upper management position at Technics / Panasonic i would keep the line going as long as it broke even or even at a slight loss for one simple reason... brand recognition.

I would have never thought much of Technics / Panasonic if it were not for their turntables. You can't just buy that kind of recognition. Its respect for a quality product which sets the standard for an industry... an industry which is geared towards the a target market of 16-25 year olds. It seems crazy to let that go. Most of their stuff just isn't that good generally speaking. Its a decision which strikes me as bewildering and made by someone who is not looking at the big picture of the company.

I am no expert on the subject but for example... look at Google. They make all kinds of new services and technologies available for free to people and in the end it has done nothing but boost their brand and power in the marketplace. Although its a plainly self-serving example... think of the Android for mobile phones. Google made it open source and gave it away to everyone for free. one might thing it is a loss of revenue but the operating system provides a means to extend their advertising venues.

That is big picture.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Is the MK5 worth getting over the MK2, I want to get another deck at some stage, worth the upgrade?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

not much of a difference

the only one which is worth to mention is the mk5 has no 0-point lock on his pitch.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:not much of a difference

the only one which is worth to mention is the mk5 has no 0-point lock on his pitch.
But that is a good difference. It's the same on my M3D version, love it.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

jackbrazzo wrote:Is the MK5 worth getting over the MK2, I want to get another deck at some stage, worth the upgrade?
I've got the MK5's and they are worth the little extra for the dipless pitch at 0.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

only that its not a "little" extra ..