Homeopathy/Alternative Treatments/Natural Remedies

- open
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Homeopathy/Alternative Treatments/Natural Remedies

Post by ChrisCV » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:26 pm

thought i might as well start a new thread on this, as this is often a juicy subject to talk about...

so anyways carrying on from:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
ChrisCV wrote:its kind of like all the wackos that believe in homeopathy...
I have been following this thread but until this point I was willing to give your POV full credence but after reading this point I feel obliged to downgrade your perspective somewhat.

Although I am not a homeopathy nut, I do believe in the power of nature to heal in manners that do not involve unnatural chemicals produced by humans... ie... most pharmaceutical treatments and so forth...
you shouldn't really downgrade my perspective just because i disagree with you on another point of view which is completely unrelated to aliens and pyramids... I mean i think the pope's opinions on Catholicism is probably the most authoritative on the subject... however i still don't really agree with his thoughts on young boys...

anyways... how you've described your case for the defence of homeopathy/alternative treatments is, ironically, exactly the way i described, or tried to describe, how people defend homeopathy, like they do with conspiracy theories and alien stories... lots of speculation based on small bits of supposed evidence where you can tenuously connect the dots...

in your case, you were the single case of supposed evidence... i say supposed, because you took a load of magic pills over a few weeks, and at the end you never got any nosebleeds ever again, giving you the sense of correlation between your ailment and the magic pills... however you don't actually know 100% if those pills actually did stop the nosebleeds... there could be a whole host of reasons why it stopped... maybe you were growing out of nosebleeds.. i used to get nosebleeds all the time as a kid too then all of a sudden they just stopped for no real reason... maybe you were more conscience of the nosebleeds so you stopped picking your nose all the time? maybe it did actually work? who knows?? there could be any kind of other factor that stopped your nosebleed, you need to account for these first before jumping to the conclusion that it was the pills...

that's why normal drugs are supposed to be tested properly, using real evidence (large test groups, control groups,etc) that is peer reviewed. This way they can get rid of any statistical anomalies and make sure that what they're making and putting out there actually does work for most people and that its not going to kill you... its like designing a crash helmet around person's headsize... testing it on one person and going since it worked for this person when they crashed, it must therefore work for everyone else in the world...

anyways.... with homeopathy you don't need to do any kind of testing... you can just make some stuff up, based on some loose idea which is often unfounded... sell it to the public, make a shed load of cash on it... and when people have done proper studies of homeopathy the results often point to a performance no better than placebo... statistically people don't get any better when taking magic pills... a lot of the evidence points to this conclusion...

i'm not saying don't believe in nature... nature is a marvel and is an inspiration... it is a well honed system from millions of years of evolution.. we have so much more to learn from nature...

i'm saying we need to believe in things that have been proven or have a body of evidence that points to a rational explanation... not romantic ideas based on speculation and supposed evidence...

Homeopathy however is not nature... its a multi million pound industry based on unfounded ideas with no evidence to suggest that it works... a lot of the other alternative therapies are like this too...

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: London

Post by ::BLM:: » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Do you like Derren Brown Chris?

Morgy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:59 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Post by Morgy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm


User avatar
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn
Posts: 7057
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:21 am
Location: walk the e[art]h : Detroit Metro : -
x 8
x 8
Contact:

Re: Homeopathy/Alternative Treatments/Natural Remedies

Post by John Clees » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:00 pm

ChrisCV wrote:
that's why normal drugs are supposed to be tested properly, using real evidence (large test groups, control groups,etc) that is peer reviewed. .
reminds me of this thread: lol

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0


or the direct video:

LSD_Being_Tested_on_Brtish_Troops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3a5ar3J4E

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: London

Post by ::BLM:: » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08 pm

I reckon in say 5000 years the world is going to look back at things like omoeopathy and think we were all mad. I guess the same can be said for many things as well, religion I hope will be another.

ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by ChrisCV » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm

::BLM:: wrote:Do you like Derren Brown Chris?
yeah i do find derren brown shows really interesting... i like how he doesn't portray himself as a mind reader or magician... he just says he uses a load of psychology etc...find it fascinating some of the stuff he brings to your attention, the power of suggestion, sub conscious etc...

i also find him a little scary how he can do some of that stuff... however i do understand that its on TV, so god knows what editing has happened to make his stuff on TV believable.. and he has said in interviews that he is first and foremost a showman... but i reckon for the best part he's believable...

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: London

Post by ::BLM:: » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 pm

He likes to prove people wrong, but in his own subtle ways. There is one where people claim they can talk to the dead as well as aliens, but he shows you can do all this by using the power of the mind. A clever guy methinks...

.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:18 am
Contact:

Post by . » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:59 pm

::BLM:: wrote:religion I hope will be another.
It will. 41 years, maybe less (I had a vision, thanks to natural drugs).

Post Reply