Music promotion tool

- open
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I think that the idea is not to sell thousand of downloads through the url but to promote the artist.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

the future may be 100% free tracks for promotion , and the rest unreleased.
the end of digital shops.
orginal material to be spinned.
i dont need to invite an artist i can get the same tracks.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

roland wrote:i don't get it.. people can download the tracks from the website for free and if they want they can spend a certain amount of money..

what's new about that??
It's not really important if its new or not, the point here is, you got a lot of possibility to do it easily. I really like the idea of simplicity, efficiency, with no social network in it (I'm so fed of registering to a new one) and you don't need to build/program tons of things; it's all there.

My friend Mateo who is working on a really really cool other tool met the guy from viinyl and was blown away too by the demo. Believe me, Mateo is a geek and hard to be impressed and he loved it.

The thing also about viinyl is, there will be a physical toy that will come with it at one point and that, in some way, will bring an old school vibe of 90's pirate radios. Fun...
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

mmmmm...dunno

the more people have access to everything, the less special it will be. i'll stick to vinyl with 1 'i' :)
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

patrick bateman wrote:
roland wrote:i don't get it.. people can download the tracks from the website for free and if they want they can spend a certain amount of money..

what's new about that??
That's what I'm thinking too. But maybe there's something extra smart about this tool/site that I didn't see on my first visit.
mattburns wrote:This is a great idea. I think it's pointless charging people for digital music as most will get it illegally for free and those who do buy probably don't contribute enough to cover the costs incurred by the label, in most cases. I think this is the future, fair play and good luck with it
You say it's a great idea to give music away for free, because people are downloading it illegal anyway, and therefore the label can't make enough to cover the costs, but can you tell me how the label will get the costs covered by giving the music away from free?
rationalism wrote:I think the future of music is that each label sell his own tracks
Yes, will be super cool to have to go to 50 different websites to buy tracks! I love the idea, bring it on!
the label won't cover their costs of course, but labels won't be necessary for this type of release. And those labels who choose to go this route will obviously need to look at other ares in which to make money, for example, a vinyl offshoot, label parties etc etc and the free releases can be used as a promotional tool for the label and artists. I'm not clear about how it would work exactly yet, but i do think that more and more artists who release tracks digitally will make them available for free
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

mattburns wrote:the label won't cover their costs of course, but labels won't be necessary for this type of release. And those labels who choose to go this route will obviously need to look at other ares in which to make money, for example, a vinyl offshoot, label parties etc etc and the free releases can be used as a promotional tool for the label and artists. I'm not clear about how it would work exactly yet, but i do think that more and more artists who release tracks digitally will make them available for free
So free un-mastered tracks are the future. Because even if we cut out the label, the artist still need the tracks mastered which means there's an expense.

Oh well, what ever.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

patrick bateman wrote:
mattburns wrote:the label won't cover their costs of course, but labels won't be necessary for this type of release. And those labels who choose to go this route will obviously need to look at other ares in which to make money, for example, a vinyl offshoot, label parties etc etc and the free releases can be used as a promotional tool for the label and artists. I'm not clear about how it would work exactly yet, but i do think that more and more artists who release tracks digitally will make them available for free
So free un-mastered tracks are the future. Because even if we cut out the label, the artist still need the tracks mastered which means there's an expense.

Oh well, what ever.
I'm also quite discouraged recently but sometimes when i find a new toy, i find a bit of hope... we'll see.

As they say, one idea leads to another; stalling into your patterns makes stay still.
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

I have no experience of this by the way, I'm just interested to hear other peoples' opinions on it. i think something like his may happen in the not-so-distant future.

And you can get tracks mastered in loads of different places, some people do it themselves. there's cost associated with production of music, yes, and mastering is part of that, but good tracks lead to gigs etc and this is where you can see the return on your investments
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas