RentAcrowd

- open
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

RentAcrowd

Post by jackbrazzo »

I am going to have a bit of a rant here, so here goes, I am very disenchanted with DJing currently. I and a number of friends put a night on in London, I promoted it to hell, I got about 20-30 people there, the rest of the guest DJ's brought about 10 people between 8 DJ's.

I've got two points here, firstly I am completely bored at having to rely on my friends, not to supplement the night, but to actually make the night up in numbers. Where have bar promotions gone?

Secondly - No Free drinks and we had to pay the venue a hire fee. Yes that right (I know its not unusual) but had to pay for getting there bar busy, even though if hadnt have had a clubnight in there would have been about 10 people in the venue.

Starting to wonder if its worth it anymore.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

sometimes it just happens that you can't get a hall full. It doesn't always come down to promotion, sometimes people just don't feel like coming out, the weather is too good to sit in a damp club, the dj is known to dj's but doesn't ring a bell with the majority of people (who have to fill your venue)... it's part of the excitement (and shite) of promoting.

Get over it, analyse what went wrong, get a new venue or change what you think went wrong, and keep going. It doesn't happen overnight, some of the events that run the best over here started out with losses and only pikced up after a year or more of trying and trying.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

This is standard procedure. It's your party, you should get people in the club/bar..

With you as the external organisation, the club/bar depends on how much booz is getting sold. You had about 40 people in there, they probably didn't drink that much. So, paying rent is normal.

Think about this.. The club/bar has to pay the bartenders, security, the sound guy, the light guy, the gas bill etc etc. they probably lost more money then you..
you are what you tweed
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

i am hearing you, I dont think its a case of getting over it, its a case of is this really worth it.

95% promotion and 5% playing records.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

jackbrazzo wrote:
That's how it is and have been for some time, at least in Denmark.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

OK well at least I am not the only one. :)
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

It's like that everywhere.
Unless you book the hype dj's (won't give any names because I don't want to promote them) of the moment it's very hard to attract people to your party. It's a matter of analysing what went wrong and then try to improve it or pull out the plug if you don't find it worth enough.

Be also aware that if you ask some one if he will pass by most of the time they'll say yes and then don't show up.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

jackbrazzo wrote:i am hearing you, I dont think its a case of getting over it, its a case of is this really worth it.

that's always been the case, sorry ;) I guess it comes down to figuring out how much 'side effects' you are willing to endure just to get to play your music. It's a doubt that I also constantly have to face. Strangely enough, everytime I lose money I swear I'll never do a party again, and then a few months later I find myself running around town again with boxes of flyers :lol: