Burning Man 2010

- open
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Burning Man 2010

Post by loictambay »

With more minimal sounds being represented at BM, with such camps as Tetropolis, Circus Maximus, Wolf & Lamb and even Justin and Christian Martin doing their own art car, this year is starting to look like its gonna be a good one for music.
Anyone going?
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

there is always music out there on the playa of stuff you will never hear anywhere else, very far out next level sh!t, you just have to look and youll find it...
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

true, u can always walk into a random dome and hear some one of a kind music being played by some eager burner, playing off his apc. Definitely heard a couple really good live sets on the playa...I was talking more about bigger parties out there though, the likes of Opulent Temple, Root Society, etc. Really not into Freak Nasty, so I'm just glad more 4-4 music is being represented at bigger sound camps this year...and not just electro/trance.
I hear Paul Kalkbrenner is playing at Root Society. Living in Hawaii, hearing techno artists from around the world is rare commodity, so I'm happy to hear ANYONE representing techno at BM...
daniellesniewski
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daniellesniewski »

someone told me about this festival recently. if what i heard is true (trade based economy, money holds no value at this festival), then i definitely would love to go one time!
supergroover
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by supergroover »

Read the http://www.burningman.com website and you ll know everything about it.
Really looking forward to it! Not just the music but the whole experience.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

loictambay wrote:true, u can always walk into a random dome and hear some one of a kind music being played by some eager burner, playing off his apc. Definitely heard a couple really good live sets on the playa...I was talking more about bigger parties out there though, the likes of Opulent Temple, Root Society, etc. Really not into Freak Nasty, so I'm just glad more 4-4 music is being represented at bigger sound camps this year...and not just electro/trance.
I hear Paul Kalkbrenner is playing at Root Society. Living in Hawaii, hearing techno artists from around the world is rare commodity, so I'm happy to hear ANYONE representing techno at BM...
i cant imagine what it would be like hearing techno in hawaii, i went to maui once and the "island time" was definitely a very noticeable effect on me, amazing how slow the day goes by over there!

well, 4-4 house music has been at bm since the very beginning in the late eighties. minimal? well the first time i ever heard that aesthetic was a small theme camp in 2003, which was way before it exploded in popularity in clubs which was around what 2006 or so? minimal has continued to have a presence every year, but always a small sideshow presence. the reason small is because that music requires the listener to have a longer attention span because the tracks typically develop over a longer period of time, and also require an attention to smaller details in the music ... which doesn't really mix well with fire explosions, naked people, a giant wooden ship on wheels driving around, etc. theres just too much noise and distractions going on to engage the listener directly to the music. i could picture it going down better in root society vs opulent because the dome will shield the listener from the distractions, but im willing to bet you it still will not be remembered as the better sets that week, even kalkbrenner. but we'll see, in september we'll go back to this thread and see if im wrong. search for vids of lee burridge when he played at deep end - his set didnt exactly go over very well. i know i know, you want to hear at bm what you think is awesome in the clubs, but it just doesnt work that way a lot of the time. you know what just read this article which is about how bm inspired wolf + lamb to change their sound:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1042

heh this is kinda funny because they didn't really change much, they went from ultra repetitive music with bleeps and clicks to ultra repetitive music with horns and soul vocals, which still doesnt work all that great out there.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

interesting view...music is music, fire explosions or not, I like to hear what I like to listen to. Especially after a week in the desert, nothing irritates me more than having to listen to dubstep and electro. I did hear some pretty interesting dubstep sets last year though.
I've seen Lee Burridge play one of the best morning sets out there. And had an amazing time hearing Wolf+Lamb and friends play on Robot Heart. Last year we threw a party with Magda, Troy Pierce, Mathew Jonson, Konrad Black and Bill Patrick and it was my favorite night of the Burn. Quite a good turnout, and it was nice hearing people thank us for putting together something different on the playa.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=6707
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?111071
I understand Burning Man is quite maximal in ways but I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy the music they love because of the "distractions."
If you've been to Burning Man, you know that techno has had a, well, minimal presence over the years, especially at big sound camps who usually only book the likes of Carl Cox, Sharam, etc (although Carl Cox out there is amazing and even made a GU BRC). I find it really nice that less known artists are becoming more interested in performing at the festival, and that big sound camps are booking them.
For the first time ever, Resident Advisor posted Burning Man as the top festival of august, so denying there is more techno music at BM this year is plain wrong. Maybe its just gaining popularity out there, but thats a good thing, because the result is more good music, and that is all right with me.

Oh and I would seriously recommend going to Oahu next time. Maui is nice if you're looking for a more relaxed Hawaiian experience, but Honolulu is definitely a city with great Art and music. We run a small afterhours club here, throw the most amazing beach and boat parties, being on Hawaiian time only means the parties last longer ;)
Last edited by loictambay on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

Oh and last year, Konrad Black and Mathew Jonson played all unreleased material they felt was unfit for clubs. Some of the stuff was literally jaw dropping, and I believe some of it made it on Jonson's Agents of Time album. Even Bill Patrick played some stuff that sounded soooo good on the playa, so I'd have to disagree that minimal doesn't work at BM...