Advice really appreciated - getting decks for my 11 yr old

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

::BLM:: wrote:Who here has gone back to vinyl?

I buy a lot of vinyl, but I never end up taking them out with me when I DJ. I end up buying the wavs and then using cdj's when I play out. I used to take my records out all the time, but they ended up getting scratched so now I leave them at home. I hate having to buy records a second time, especially since some of them cost me loads of money in the first place.

Does anybody else do this really stupid thing to preserve their records?
What kind of needle do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I was paralyzed with indecision when I went to buy a new needle last week. Mostly I just want to digitize my electronic vinyl but I couldn't decide what to get. I want to get a new needle before I start. I did a bunch about 5-6 years ago but I have better recording ability now so I would like to do it again. Needles though... Clubby type needle or audiophile needle. I have never tried an audiophile needle but I have a whole bunch of old records that were given to me that I would like to record. Records by Vangelis, Iso Tomita, and stuff like that. Bunch of weird stuff too, Jethro Tull, crazy flute music from the 70's, classical, spoken word and lots of other stuff.

I am leaning towards the audiophile needle but does it really make much of a difference? On the other hand, I want to record lots of techno / house records so I was thinking about the club needle. There must be a reason they design needles specifically for this kind of music. Also, does anyone know if audiophile needles cause more wear on the records?

I just can't decide.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

ortofon electro. not sure on recording but a lovely lovely cart.
oldboy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oldboy »

::BLM:: wrote:All this and the original posted hasnt bothered to reply.
Apologies. I've been on a family holiday so not had a chance to read this thread and amazed at how it has taken off.

Many thanks for all the replies and effort you chaps have put into replying to me. I'm gonna do my sums and work out what I can afford and what route I'm gonna go down.

Once again, many thanks.
oldboy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oldboy »

Thought I'd give you guys an update seeing as you were all so helpful with the advice. I went down the mp3 Vestax Spin route for a number of reasons: availability of mp3s in my collection as opposed to buying lots of vinyl, the relative cost of the kit, the space it all takes up.

He's loving it at the moment. Time will tell whether he sticks at it but he's having lots of fun experimenting with different tracks. If he's still mixing this time next year then we'll go for proper decks. In the meantime I've been listening to some interesting sets - not sure if Alex Kenji and Daniel Steinberg mix well with Shackleton though!

Here he is:

Thanks for all the help.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Very cool! He has to start somewhere. :)
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re:

Post by roland »

Michael^Heaven wrote:Very cool! He has to start somewhere. :)
yeah.. one follows his first hero artist anyway.. : )