Advice really appreciated - getting decks for my 11 yr old

- open
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

@ Patrick? Do you guys still release on vinyl?

If so, then why do play digitally?
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

iainkerr7 wrote:@ Patrick? Do you guys still release on vinyl?

dogmatism :P
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I don't see what my personal preferences have to do with our labels release format, but yes, we still release vinyl.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

Hi Dad,

Here's a breakdown: All this stuff can be found on ebay for roughly these prices, save for the Duo, which ships free from many warehouse dealers:

- 2 used direct drive decks (Stanton or Numark): $80 each (w/ shipping)
- 1 used Numark 2-channel budget mixer: $60 (w/ shipping)
- Traktor Duo, new (Jr. isn't gonna need more than 2 decks, right?): $100

Assuming you already have a PC/laptop, this is a $340 investment. This is how I started out and this is actually a bit more than what I actually paid. Oh—tack on $80 for a pair of Stanton 400's IF the decks don't include cartridges (which they are likely to)...so you're talking $420.

That's my take. Good luck.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

patrick bateman wrote:

I don't see what my personal preferences have to do with our labels release format, but yes, we still release vinyl.
I'm not meaning to challenge you sorry if it seemed like that, it's just that you are in a position that very few others on here are.

What is it that you prefer about digital?
I take it you were vinyl previously? What made you stop yet continue to release vinyl?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

he hasnt stopped, he buyed recently some vinyls :D
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Who here has gone back to vinyl?

I buy a lot of vinyl, but I never end up taking them out with me when I DJ. I end up buying the wavs and then using cdj's when I play out. I used to take my records out all the time, but they ended up getting scratched so now I leave them at home. I hate having to buy records a second time, especially since some of them cost me loads of money in the first place.

Does anybody else do this really stupid thing to preserve their records?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

iainkerr7 wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

I'm not meaning to challenge you sorry if it seemed like that, it's just that you are in a position that very few others on here are.

What is it that you prefer about digital?
I take it you were vinyl previously? What made you stop yet continue to release vinyl?
As I said, my personal taste of how to play, has nothing to do with what format we release on our labels. But the thing is that we loose money on each and every vinyl release, so it's probably only a short time until we stop releasing vinyl at all.

I started dj'ing back in 1993 and was of course playing vinyls at that time and all the way up until around 4-5 years ago when I started to play more and more cd's, since I started to get more and more promos/demos. And this has escalated so much that most of my music comes from promos these days.
The reason I started to use a digital system was that I got so annoyed/bored of burning cd's last minute before my gigs. So I thought it was easier to use a laptop/serato/traktor system, furthermore it gives me some extra looping possibilities and a few extra cool efx.

The last time I bought vinyls was last week from Juno, because of some annoying vinyl only releases that I wanted badly (koze remix of gerd and that old laid record with rick wade). But before this buy, I think it's at least half a year ago, the last time I bought a vinyl.