mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i wonder what the future will bring.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

what's the reason for the closing? this bar is famous all over europe.. i can't believe it wasn't possible to run this thing cost-effective.. or is it really so hard these days to run something like a club in london and make profit?
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

thing is a lot of the club cull isn't due to low numbers, but mainly redevelopment... from the recent closures/ones under threat in the last few years it looks like this:

fabric is in administration because of matter, not because of low numbers.. however it isn't as packed as it used to be...

The End closed down because of the lease running out..

The Cross/Key/Canvas closed down because of eurostar development...

Plastic People is closed because of licensing issues

ministry is being threatened by housing development issues

only matter, SE One and now T-Bar have closed due to poor attendances..

we've also now got countless "secret" warehouse parties... outdoor parties and parties at the tops of towers..

the scene is still strnog.. people just get tired of the same four walls of a club.. and with the liberalisation to get licenses for events in non club venues.. its easier to feed that demand...
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

roland wrote:what's the reason for the closing? this bar is famous all over europe.. i can't believe it wasn't possible to run this thing cost-effective.. or is it really so hard these days to run something like a club in london and make profit?
i think the turnouts weren't good enough to keep them afloat against the development costs they probably had with the new venue... various factors played a part i'm guessing..
location, not being bang in the heart of shoreditch probs affected it...

it didn't have that no rules edge that it had in its early days... the nights that made it infamous had long gone.. no lazarus and mayer for stink on mondays, no smagghe and weathehall on thursdays.. no tolfrey with his leftout parties.. etc...

i guess it became more of a club, than just a bar which had quality music... it changed from being a place you could drop into, to a place you set out to go to..

and i'm guessing it just wasn't as cool/keep up with the times..
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

ChrisCV wrote: the scene is still strnog.. people just get tired of the same four walls of a club.. and with the liberalisation to get licenses for events in non club venues.. its easier to feed that demand...
or you just don't bother with it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it was really busy the times i was there. though i never bothered once you had to pay to get in.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

drinks way too expensive
bad sound system in a really reverby room
closed too early often
suddenly starting to charge in but keeping the drinks prices at 4 plus
too many dogdy bookings