Selling Out - how much music artists earn online

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Selling Out - how much music artists earn online

Post by Robot Criminal »

Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: (-)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

STOP DOWNLOADING MUSIC!!

the old system of going to a shop and buying a physical format is a much more better for the artist.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

so if the label makes 63 cents per download the artist gets 9 cents according to this graphic? BULLSHIT. If an artist signs this kind of deal he deserves to be taken up the ass :lol:

Most digital labels work 50/50 with their artists, so on beatport f.e. a tracks that costs 1,56 will break down to:

1,56 * 60% = 0,94 cents / 2 = 0,47 cents per download for the artist. I think that's a considerately different number then 9 cents...

Again a fancy graphic from a guy who just wants to have a go again at the digital thing I guess... no wonder if your 'source' is called CynicalMusician :roll:
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

its still over 2000 downloads a month. long gone are the days you could earn any money on sales

its not getting any better for the musicians if music was mainly consumed as streamable content as you can see..
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

1,56 * 60% = 0,94 cents / 2 = 0,47 cents per download for the artist. I think that's a considerately different number then 9 cents...

Again a fancy graphic from a guy who just wants to have a go again at the digital thing I guess... no wonder if your 'source' is called CynicalMusician Rolling Eyes
That doesn't take into account the 40% beatport takes, and the 20% the aggregator takes, and whatever promotional costs(10%)the label incurred while getting the word out.

So with digital, you have lost 70% of the gross before you split it with the label.

Digital is stupid for artists. Vinyl is more profitable once you start getting past the break even point. The only people who do well with digital are the people running the websites and the people stealing the music.

fck digital stores and fck laptop DJ's.
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

Casanova808 wrote:fck digital stores and fck laptop DJ's.
I just dislike people talking like this. I believe it's possible to express an opinion without having to use insulting words...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Casanova808 wrote:
That doesn't take into account the 40% beatport takes,