Anyone else out there with hearing loss?

- open
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Anyone else out there with hearing loss?

Post by ms500 »

I'm 23 years old and I've been producing/DJing for about 7 years now. I have suffered from tinnitus since I can't remember when and I recently went to the doctor for a hearing test and he told me that I have a drop of 50db at 1khz in my right ear.

Its pretty sh!t and it's dented my confidence loads but I've decided I'm just gonna carry on producing & DJing until I literally can't do it anymore.

So the reason I'm posting this on here is just to see if there is anyone else out there who is suffering from a similar thing?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

as I remember it, there are a few threads about hearing damage on this forum, and also some threads about ear protection.
search might be your friend.

(I don't have any hearing problems, luckily)
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

my left ear is near to be useless.. Just used so much the headphones too loud, Now I take care of.. When I produce or when I just listen too music, I put the headphones really low..
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

You could try this
http://www.restoredhearing.ie/

They got an award this year from the young scientists expo in Ireland. Its mainly for people who suffer from short term tinitus but might be worth checking out.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i'm constantly amazed at the young people with hearing loss in the scene. i've been partying since 1996, where, in detroit, we had some absurdly loud raves (the jak system richie used to bring in was borderline painful), and i've suffered little to no hearing loss - and i party quite a bit.

just by knowing when to get out of a room, not abusing headphones at home or while djing, and even just spending a day in quiet after a night out at a rave can do wonders to save your ears.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

cloutier wrote:i'm constantly amazed at the young people with hearing loss in the scene. i've been partying since 1996, where, in detroit, we had some absurdly loud raves (the jak system richie used to bring in was borderline painful), and i've suffered little to no hearing loss - and i party quite a bit.

just by knowing when to get out of a room, not abusing headphones at home or while djing, and even just spending a day in quiet after a night out at a rave can do wonders to save your ears.
:!:

thankfully, im ok : at the moment... :!:
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

While traveling in South Africa I met an aging DJ at a backpackers who had serious hearing problems. Everyone could see it because the only time he could hear you was when he was staring you in the face (and im guessing..reading your lips).

The memory of seeing this dude, but more importantly knowing that the thing we all love to do can cause permanent hearing damage still haunts me.

That's why I use earplugs almost all the time now.
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

cloutier wrote:i'm constantly amazed at the young people with hearing loss in the scene. i've been partying since 1996, where, in detroit, we had some absurdly loud raves (the jak system richie used to bring in was borderline painful), and i've suffered little to no hearing loss - and i party quite a bit.
I think different people's ears have different tolerances to loud music/noise. Anytime I used to go in a club without earplugs my ears would be ringing so badly afterwards and none of my mates would have the same problem. It might be a weak gene or something because my dad has had hearing problems for as long as I can remember.

Nowadays whenever I'm DJing out or going clubbing I wear Elacin ER25 earplugs without fail. It is something that I would recommend to anyone.