different mixers - different clubs

- open
wlnd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wlnd »

PsyTox wrote:Or the EQ's mid and high are three quarters open. :roll: Some promotors seem to think that placing f.e; Funktion One is a garantuee for good sound but they are afraid to tell a dj to adjust the sound a bit (or pay a bit extra for a good pa guy who monitors the sound).
Does any EQ adjustment beyond 0 (12 o'clock) in general cause clipping/sound quality loss, even if channel and main levels are well below 0?
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

wlnd wrote:Does any EQ adjustment beyond 0 (12 o'clock) in general cause clipping/sound quality loss, even if channel and main levels are well below 0?
if i understand your question, the answer is no:
EQ adjustment will not cause clipping or sound quality loss, so long as the channel outs and main outs are all at normal levels (i.e. not in the red).
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

prussell wrote:
wlnd wrote:Does any EQ adjustment beyond 0 (12 o'clock) in general cause clipping/sound quality loss, even if channel and main levels are well below 0?
if i understand your question, the answer is no:
EQ adjustment will not cause clipping or sound quality loss, so long as the channel outs and main outs are all at normal levels (i.e. not in the red).
disagree - depends on the EQ - in general it's not good practice to run everything at 3 o'clock (for example). depending on the mixer there's no guarantee the EQ curve will be flat just because all of the knobs are in the same position; in fact it's unlikely this will be the case. if you're just trying to make it louder then it's better to up the channel gain than to turn all of the EQ knobs up, unless you're trying to boost a particular frequency band obviously.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

damagedgoods wrote:disagree - depends on the EQ - in general it's not good practice to run everything at 3 o'clock (for example). depending on the mixer there's no guarantee the EQ curve will be flat just because all of the knobs are in the same position; in fact it's unlikely this will be the case. if you're just trying to make it louder then it's better to up the channel gain than to turn all of the EQ knobs up, unless you're trying to boost a particular frequency band obviously.
the original question was 'does any EQ adjustment beyond 0/12 o'clock cause clipping'...the answer is still no.
not my opinion, it's a fact; i don't see how you could "disagree".
if EQs by nature did that, then they wouldn't be there.

whether or not it's good practice to run all the EQs louder just to make the track louder, is a different point altogether...and i personally agree with you, it's not wise to do so.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

prussell wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:disagree - depends on the EQ - in general it's not good practice to run everything at 3 o'clock (for example). depending on the mixer there's no guarantee the EQ curve will be flat just because all of the knobs are in the same position; in fact it's unlikely this will be the case. if you're just trying to make it louder then it's better to up the channel gain than to turn all of the EQ knobs up, unless you're trying to boost a particular frequency band obviously.
the original question was 'does any EQ adjustment beyond 0/12 o'clock cause clipping'...the answer is still no.
not my opinion, it's a fact; i don't see how you could "disagree".
if EQs by nature did that, then they wouldn't be there.

whether or not it's good practice to run all the EQs louder just to make the track louder, is a different point altogether...and i personally agree with you, it's not wise to do so.
i was talking about "sound quality loss", not clipping - sorry - you're quite right. in any case i suppose sound quality loss is subjective, but it seems we agree anyway....
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

;)
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

The DJM6/7/800 all have record outputs. Im not sure if the output level is adjustable, or if its set to < master, but I doubt it is just a mirror of master.

The A&H xone:62 record out sits 10dB lower than master if Im not mistaken, not sure of others...

I can independanlty adjust the recording volume of my mixer, and it sits roughly at -6dB when brushing the red on master. This adjusts gain before the out, so avoids clipping. This is what you want, no?
-- sherman
fornogoodreason
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fornogoodreason »

you are correct.

the master has no effect on the recording output on djm 800.