Loveletters from Oslo

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Atheory wrote:the idea of putting a price tag on music is pretty new in the grand scheme of things.

Its not a very honourable tradition anyway.
yet there's a price tag on every last piece of kit you need to MAKE music isn't there? Ok, maybe not on a hollow log and a stick you might have found from the bush but you need something (with a price tag) to record your performance nevertheless... Maybe make music for an exchange for gear but then you allready need to be someone to demo all the new gear :)

bit OT but you get my drift...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

PsyTox wrote:
Roy Koch wrote:
tone-def wrote:what's this thread about?

i think this label started off pretty well but then it got boring.
It used to be a vinyl only label, now they went digital as well.
I have mixed feelings about this move.
tip tap toe'ing around the subject which can easily turn into the feared VINYL or DIGITAL discussion but... for some labels it's come to a point where you'll have to choose: pull the plug or go digital. Sales figures are dropping for vinyl, and in Belgium alone three shops closed down in December. So it's also getting harder to get your vinyl to the customer. You can say "yes, but you can buy from decks" and you'd be right, except that with every closing of a shop, there are people who simply stop buying vinyl alltogether because they don't like buying online. And maybe 20 people or so isn't much, but on a total of 300 copies (which most labels print these days) that's a huge shift.

I hope and pray our next vinyl will sell out, but otherwise we will also soon have to admit that it's not for us anymore and we'll also have to return to digital only, much to my dissapointment to be honest.
Sorry for going off topic, but which stores closed? Here in Hasselt, one of the two vinyl stores closed last year (dunno its name anymore)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Music Man, Strictly Dance and Extrazone Brussels.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

In Denmark we more or less have no recordstores left selling electronic music.
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Roy Koch »

Themis wrote: EDIT:
As if people don't rip records they have at home and play them out in the club on cd's....
really does that happen? i wouldnt do it .. why should someone? cause he wont carry the vinyls !? maybe befor some record is going bad .. but that cant be a lot ...
Well, first of all people who used to play records and now play cd's, but still want to play their old stuff of records. And then you have a lot of people who use Serato.
I personally rip all my records, so I will have it eternally. Records get worse over time, but mp3's don't. Also I like to listen to some of my stuff outside of my studio and since I don't have turntables everywhere mp3's are the only solution.
And I can see why someone who gigs a lot doesn't want to carry his records all the time or maybe doesn't want to bring his really really expensive records to a gig.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

Robot Criminal wrote:
Atheory wrote:the idea of putting a price tag on music is pretty new in the grand scheme of things.

Its not a very honourable tradition anyway.
yet there's a price tag on every last piece of kit you need to MAKE music isn't there? Ok, maybe not on a hollow log and a stick you might have found from the bush but you need something (with a price tag) to record your performance nevertheless... Maybe make music for an exchange for gear but then you allready need to be someone to demo all the new gear :)

bit OT but you get my drift...
not really true with pirated warez. plenty of people can make killer tracks on software alone.

music is quickly becoming a useless commodity. we need a new physical medium. something that is small, light and is indestructable.
/__/\ /__/\ /__/\
| |::\ \ \:\ | |::\
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Themis wrote:yeah now you cant know the difference between some idiot that downloads all tracks illegal, and someone who buys them. GREAT !
I know what you mean, but some people also make digital copy's from their vinyl, so you'll never know when something is illegal or not. It's just the day and age we live in.

The thing is most club owners could care less about their Technics at the club, because most dj's don't use them anymore. Almost everybody is using cd's or a laptop. So a lot of vinyl junkies are forced to rip their vinyl, or they have the chance they've to dj on a broken Technics..
you are what you tweed
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

S.D.L wrote:
Themis wrote:yeah now you cant know the difference between some idiot that downloads all tracks illegal, and someone who buys them. GREAT !
I know what you mean, but some people also make digital copy's from their vinyl, so you'll never know when something is illegal or not. It's just the day and age we live in.

The thing is most club owners could care less about their Technics at the club, because most dj's don't use them anymore. Almost everybody is using cd's or a laptop. So a lot of vinyl junkies are forced to rip their vinyl, or they have the chance they've to dj on a broken Technics..
Exactly the reason why i left vinyl DJ'ing. Always problems with the Technics at the clubs around here, if they even had any.