Loveletters from Oslo

- open
brownlow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brownlow »

YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Theo Parrish's term "selector" is a unique designation for the vinyl DJ. It is the process of selection which is unique to the vinyl DJ and, to a lesser degree, the cd DJ.

Making a "selection" refers not only to the physical action of picking a record out of your bag, it also applies to the processes (psyhcological as well as physical) applied in acquiring the record in the first place and any other association you might have in handling the record in another situation.

The journey to the record store, the interaction with shop staff, a record which might have been playing in the store, artwork, the bus journey on the way, any premeditative thought before arriving at the store, the various other processes involved in crate-digging, etc. etc. etc.

In the physicality of a vinyl record there is always some kind of journey involved (literally and/or metaphorically) which I believe leads to a deeper connection between the "selector" and the listeners when it comes for the time for that record to be played, consciously or subconsciously. And these journeys (as many journeys do result from each record), as well as the pit-stops made at home, are shared.

Very few, if any, shareable experiences arise from sitting at a computer buying thin-air from thin-air. The only physicality involved is the hard-drive which acts as some sort of faceless whore. Imagine the British Library not existing, for example, because it's all been scanned and squished into an Amazon Kindle, making it easier for everyone. How soulless and what a complete disregard for history would that be? Of course, we're not dealing with priceless original works of art here. Vinyl records are, after all, reproductions of a master print. But the principal remains the same.

30 years down the line when the originators of our music are dying or dead, and the new kids on the scene only have a sea of 111010101010101 to file through, where, or more importantly, how are they going to find the good stuff which is thankfully still being released on vinyl today? Perhaps if vinyl is also dead by then, there will be a museum. Hopefully not.

In terms of listening, Vinyl is not the be all and end all, but it serves as the benchmark for how music is SELECTED in the appropriate environment, i.e. club, party, etc.

Ironically I am listening to Theo Parrish right now on my computer. Music as a product for the consumer that buys music to listen makes sense in this day and age. As for music the DJ, a suitable replacement for vinyl has yet to be invented.

LLFO's jump to beatport represents a need to accommodate the costs of producing vinyl, which is a funny one if they originally set out to be a vinyl-only label. If that's what they had to do to support continued production of vinyl, fine, but considering Olso's success I have other ideas...
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

I read the FAQ, it doesn't say anything about one liners and bashing people with clueless posts

If in the FAQ they said only people with at least one constructiv idea/critic could post that would be better

I did not used the quote button because the discussion got really far from the initial post , maybe it was a mistake but by just putting the posts
i consider ilogic and a waste of time ONLY those who put the posts to read it

of course i got carried away by the strange replies and kept
answering wich i shouldnt have done so many times

besides if there was an option to put a background color in a post that moves
from the original thread that would be nice

and .
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

brownlow wrote:
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Theo Parrish's term "selector" is a unique designation for the vinyl DJ. It is the process of selection which is unique to the vinyl DJ and, to a lesser degree, the cd DJ.

Making a "selection" refers not only to the physical action of picking a record out of your bag, it also applies to the processes (psyhcological as well as physical) applied in acquiring the record in the first place and any other association you might have in handling the record in another situation.

The journey to the record store, the interaction with shop staff, a record which might have been playing in the store, artwork, the bus journey on the way, any premeditative thought before arriving at the store, the various other processes involved in crate-digging, etc. etc. etc.

In the physicality of a vinyl record there is always some kind of journey involved (literally and/or metaphorically) which I believe leads to a deeper connection between the "selector" and the listeners when it comes for the time for that record to be played, consciously or subconsciously. And these journeys (as many journeys do result from each record), as well as the pit-stops made at home, are shared.

Very few, if any, shareable experiences arise from sitting at a computer buying thin-air from thin-air. The only physicality involved is the hard-drive which acts as some sort of faceless whore. Imagine the British Library not existing, for example, because it's all been scanned and squished into an Amazon Kindle, making it easier for everyone. How soulless and what a complete disregard for history would that be? Of course, we're not dealing with priceless original works of art here. Vinyl records are, after all, reproductions of a master print. But the principal remains the same.

30 years down the line when the originators of our music are dying or dead, and the new kids on the scene only have a sea of 111010101010101 to file through, where, or more importantly, how are they going to find the good stuff which is thankfully still being released on vinyl today? Perhaps if vinyl is also dead by then, there will be a museum. Hopefully not.

In terms of listening, Vinyl is not the be all and end all, but it serves as the benchmark for how music is SELECTED in the appropriate environment, i.e. club, party, etc.

Ironically I am listening to Theo Parrish right now on my computer. Music as a product for the consumer that buys music to listen makes sense in this day and age. As for music the DJ, a suitable replacement for vinyl has yet to be invented.

LLFO's jump to beatport represents a need to accommodate the costs of producing vinyl, which is a funny one if they originally set out to be a vinyl-only label. If that's what they had to do to support continued production of vinyl, fine, but considering Olso's success I have other ideas...
Yeah I pretty much agree with what you have to say here. I always thought it was cool that when flicking through your vinyl "the story" behind it could be communicated to you in an instant. All it takes is to see a flash of the sleeve and you can tell when, where you bought it. Who was in the shop at the time, which track you like (A, B1 or B2) and the reactions it gave to people the last time you played it. When I experimented with digital music it became clear, quickly that the same connection could not be made.
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

gustafsson wrote:I did not used the quote button because the discussion got really far from the initial post
Quoting just makes your posts more easy to read, if you're copy/pasting other people's replies you might as well put them between quote tags, there's just no reason not to.. (except maybe to piss people off :P)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote: If they are doing 1000 vinyl, then potentially they could be doing a lot more in digital as digital sales tend to be higher then vinyl. In the last 2 months vinyl sales have gotten far worse, so this could be why they have moved all their stock onto Beatport.
it's the time of year everyone is skint. people buy christmas presents and party a lot and spend twice as much because it's NYE. so hopefully things will pick up again.
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

The one thing that makes me slightly sad, is the new generation of electronic music fans are very lazy. They want to be able to get everything from home, with one click of the mouse. They have no idea what it means to visit a record store, or to dig for music. There is less effort being made.
and now he is just adding to that. seriously what bullshit. why set up a vinyl only label and go digital. fck off. what about the people who HAVE supported LLFO from the first release?
Another thing we realised was that all of our releases were available in illegal shops, or you could download them for free from blogs as people had ripped the vinyl. So we thought, what’s the point of us not selling Love Letters digitally, when other are making money out of our releases?
did they seriously think this wouldn't happen when they set the label up? yeah so what if the vinyl rips are available who can do anything with them? it's not like anyone in their right mind would play a awful vinyl rip out!

now the 320/wavs will be available for free on most music blogs.

:roll:
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah full agree with harrison

who the fck cares about blogs