Loveletters from Oslo

- open
Post Reply
User avatar
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 5432
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Copenhagen Denmark
Contact:

Post by patrick bateman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:42 am

brownlow wrote:The journey to the record store, the interaction with shop staff, a record which might have been playing in the store, artwork, the bus journey on the way, any premeditative thought before arriving at the store, the various other processes involved in crate-digging, etc. etc. etc.

In the physicality of a vinyl record there is always some kind of journey involved (literally and/or metaphorically) which I believe leads to a deeper connection between the "selector" and the listeners when it comes for the time for that record to be played, consciously or subconsciously. And these journeys (as many journeys do result from each record), as well as the pit-stops made at home, are shared.
You are right about this, I also miss this sometimes, but even if I played vinyl today, I wouldn't have this, because we have no physical recordstores in Denmark with electronic music, so I would still be sitting at home ordering on the internet.

brownlow wrote: Imagine the British Library not existing, for example, because it's all been scanned and squished into an Amazon Kindle, making it easier for everyone. How soulless and what a complete disregard for history would that be?
I would be surprised if they are not already scanning everything. There are big plans in Denmark to do this, mainly because old books don't last forever and they want to make sure that the history is available in the future too (=scanning and availability in the future)

brownlow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 am

Post by brownlow » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:37 pm

patrick bateman wrote:
brownlow wrote:The journey to the record store, the interaction with shop staff, a record which might have been playing in the store, artwork, the bus journey on the way, any premeditative thought before arriving at the store, the various other processes involved in crate-digging, etc. etc. etc.

In the physicality of a vinyl record there is always some kind of journey involved (literally and/or metaphorically) which I believe leads to a deeper connection between the "selector" and the listeners when it comes for the time for that record to be played, consciously or subconsciously. And these journeys (as many journeys do result from each record), as well as the pit-stops made at home, are shared.
You are right about this, I also miss this sometimes, but even if I played vinyl today, I wouldn't have this, because we have no physical recordstores in Denmark with electronic music, so I would still be sitting at home ordering on the internet.

brownlow wrote: Imagine the British Library not existing, for example, because it's all been scanned and squished into an Amazon Kindle, making it easier for everyone. How soulless and what a complete disregard for history would that be?
I would be surprised if they are not already scanning everything. There are big plans in Denmark to do this, mainly because old books don't last forever and they want to make sure that the history is available in the future too (=scanning and availability in the future)
But the records still travel after you've bought them, in some way or another. I order stuff from juno fairly regularly, but I still have much more of a connection with those records than I do any music file on my computer, 'cause those records have been places with me, and have usually travelled on my lap hugging them like a dear beloved!

Naturally the libraries are scanning valuable documents to make them more available, I meant if they destroyed the library because it was easier to store them on a Kindle...or iPad of course...

User avatar
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Post by blizt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I think this thread needs a bit of Ricardo Villalobos so it can go on for another 15 pages :D

User avatar
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 5432
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Copenhagen Denmark
Contact:

Post by patrick bateman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:35 pm

brownlow wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
brownlow wrote:The journey to the record store, the interaction with shop staff, a record which might have been playing in the store, artwork, the bus journey on the way, any premeditative thought before arriving at the store, the various other processes involved in crate-digging, etc. etc. etc.

In the physicality of a vinyl record there is always some kind of journey involved (literally and/or metaphorically) which I believe leads to a deeper connection between the "selector" and the listeners when it comes for the time for that record to be played, consciously or subconsciously. And these journeys (as many journeys do result from each record), as well as the pit-stops made at home, are shared.
You are right about this, I also miss this sometimes, but even if I played vinyl today, I wouldn't have this, because we have no physical recordstores in Denmark with electronic music, so I would still be sitting at home ordering on the internet.

brownlow wrote: Imagine the British Library not existing, for example, because it's all been scanned and squished into an Amazon Kindle, making it easier for everyone. How soulless and what a complete disregard for history would that be?
I would be surprised if they are not already scanning everything. There are big plans in Denmark to do this, mainly because old books don't last forever and they want to make sure that the history is available in the future too (=scanning and availability in the future)
But the records still travel after you've bought them, in some way or another. I order stuff from juno fairly regularly, but I still have much more of a connection with those records than I do any music file on my computer, 'cause those records have been places with me, and have usually travelled on my lap hugging them like a dear beloved!

Naturally the libraries are scanning valuable documents to make them more available, I meant if they destroyed the library because it was easier to store them on a Kindle...or iPad of course...
Well, that's how YOU think about music, might not apply to all of us.

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: London

Post by ::BLM:: » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 pm

I order stuff from juno fairly regularly, but I still have much more of a connection with those records than I do any music file on my computer,
+1

S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: T.R.D

Post by S.D.L » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:15 pm

PsyTox wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:I played the other month with some lads that ripped stuff off blogs. They were playing that Reboot house tune way before the release. They even said to me ‘it’s not out yet’ as if to boast about it.
think a club should kick guys like that out of the booth.
+1

BLM did you say anything about it?
you are what you tweed

User avatar
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Neubau

Post by roland » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm

yeah these reboot tracks were available cause he sends his demos to a huge amount of people.. of course this increases the risk of finding these tracks on a random blogg.. furthermore i agree with harrison.. the vinyl rips suck.. and i don't care if they are available for free or if someone downloads them ... in fact these rips kind of highlight the vinyl.. people have always recorded music.. earlier they recorded it on tape from the radio.. calling this the reason for releasing digital is ridiculous..

obviously molinari hasn't called all reasons for this move.. disappointing all the way.. maybe molinari would be a good pick for the next mnml.nl interview where users ask questions.. =)

Post Reply