DJ T's views on minimal

- open
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

Too many "artists" just make music for clubs.

Why the hell "dance" music should automaticaly be for clubs?

Could you just not dance or head-nod alone or with a couple of friends with headphones in a wood?

How music can be timeless if the aim is to burn a dancefloor only?
I'm still waiting for the mention "makes flowers grow" instead of "club bomb!!!"

I think artists like Pantha Du Prince, Portable, Ion Ludwig, Dial records etc, have understood that.

That's how I see the "future" of dance music, bringing it outside of the club to take a big breath of fresh air.
Last edited by Dragonsand on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

agree with Kiani.

Not going to read it, it's probably just a rant again from a dj who sees the stuff he likes getting less popular and looking for someone or something to blame. Is Dj T from Detroit by any chance? Because those people really seem to have it hard to admit that times have changed and their influence is not what it used to be.

Oh well... if everyone would make the music he/she feels instead of making what they think will sell, we'd be a step further. Less worries, more dancing ;)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

this is why i love burning man so much, for exactly this reason. theres no rules there, its the ultimate playground for free creative expression. no taste police or standards, its anything goes. some of the ideas that influenced changes in dance music over the past 20 years were born out there in the desert.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

damagedgoods wrote:
victorjohn wrote:
vermi wrote:don't see the problem either. he's totally correct. 99.99% of the music stated as minimal these days is the direct opposite of minimal. sounds more like pitched-down hard house or something.
so funny. so true.

Basic Channel needs to return and save the day.
I dunno dude, Basic Channel (who are great, of course, don't get me wrong) have been ripped off and fetishised so extensively that I'm not sure this is really what we need right now.

Frankly, in my opinion, if you disregard a lot of the utter tripe currently being excreted under the broad banners of "minimal" and "deep house", we're living through one of the most interesting periods in electronic music since the early 90s - whether you're looking for something brand new or a respectful nod to the past (or both). You just have to wade through a lot of bollocks to find what you're looking for, and not count on mainstream (in the loosest sense of the word) club culture to bring it to your doorstep.

As far as the DJ T interview is concerned, I could give two shits about Get Physical but the guy seems to know what he's talking about. I don't see what's narrow-minded about what he's saying?
I agree 100% actually.

I was being silly partially, but to clarify what I meant I will say this: when I refer to Basic Channel, I mean more of the process aesthetic of truly thinking minimally and of locking oneself into one's own "techno bunker" and allowing a sound to develop on its own.

Jeff Mill's hit the nail on the head in a recent interview when he said something like that we are on the verge of major forward movement in techno as soon as we stop making music for instant release, but take our time and make music just for oneself and for self discovery.

I think this is very true, and completely evidenced in the phenomenon you are describing in that there really is plenty of great music out there... it is merely obscured by all the "insta-release" trash floating in netspace right now.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »