DJ T's views on minimal

- open
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

tone-def wrote:
kristofason wrote:
vermi wrote:don't see the problem either. he's totally correct. 99.99% of the music stated as minimal these days is the direct opposite of minimal. sounds more like pitched-down hard house or something.
Dunno about the hard house bit :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8JjTQWx3y0
ye fair enough!! with a name like dj lacoste tho u'd expect shite like this!

i didnt know vermi was talkin about all that plippy ploppy crap, i fuckin hate it..is that whats known as minimal nowadays?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i dunno... i just got the link form another thread. some dude was desperate for the name of the track.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

vermi wrote:don't see the problem either. he's totally correct. 99.99% of the music stated as minimal these days is the direct opposite of minimal. sounds more like pitched-down hard house or something.
so funny. so true.

Basic Channel needs to return and save the day.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

victorjohn wrote:
so funny. so true.

Basic Channel needs to return and save the day.
I dunno dude, Basic Channel (who are great, of course, don't get me wrong) have been ripped off and fetishised so extensively that I'm not sure this is really what we need right now.

Frankly, in my opinion, if you disregard a lot of the utter tripe currently being excreted under the broad banners of "minimal" and "deep house", we're living through one of the most interesting periods in electronic music since the early 90s - whether you're looking for something brand new or a respectful nod to the past (or both). You just have to wade through a lot of bollocks to find what you're looking for, and not count on mainstream (in the loosest sense of the word) club culture to bring it to your doorstep.

As far as the DJ T interview is concerned, I could give two shits about Get Physical but the guy seems to know what he's talking about. I don't see what's narrow-minded about what he's saying?
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

He's got a point, but why the hate? He's talking about negativity in the minimal scene, but he's the one being negative...

why can't people just base their beliefs on the love for a sound/track/producer/scene instead of the hate towards others?

in the end it's all about having a good time, right?

and another thing: the 'dark age of EDM' and the drugs that were involved, that's something I hear a lot lately. Well, I don't do drugs and I've always enjoyed the music back then, even more than now...
STV
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STV »

it"s hypocrite to say that drugs aren"t in the equation. Sure, the association with minimal is bullshit, even with disco in the eighties people were doing drugs, but i can assure you that with the crap sh!t that dealers sells now, lot of people dont go to after hours, they go to bed. Afterhours owners dont make money and after hours close. And this is only an example. Where i live, two big after closed because of this.
There are a lot of people that dont go out to listen dj x or y, they go out clubbing to have fun, and they have fun with drugs, the type of music played, electro, techno, rave or pop doesnt count, what change is only the type of drug people use :P
It s sad but its the truth
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would say we're in the dark age now.

all the hype about basic channel and deep house proves it. everyone is looking to the past, what about the future?

i'm pleased house music is back but lets see if it goes anywhere.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

STV wrote:it"s hypocrite to say that drugs aren"t in the equation. Sure, the association with minimal is bullshit, even with disco in the eighties people were doing drugs, but i can assure you that with the crap sh!t that dealers sells now, lot of people dont go to after hours, they go to bed. Afterhours owners dont make money and after hours close. And this is only an example. Where i live, two big after closed because of this.
There are a lot of people that dont go out to listen dj x or y, they go out clubbing to have fun, and they have fun with drugs, the type of music played, electro, techno, rave or pop doesnt count, what change is only the type of drug people use :P
It s sad but its the truth
You're right that drugs are involved. i just don't think it's more involved in minimal than in other genres.