DJ T's views on minimal

- open
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

don't see the problem either. he's totally correct. 99.99% of the music stated as minimal these days is the direct opposite of minimal. sounds more like pitched-down hard house or something.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

vermi wrote:don't see the problem either. he's totally correct. 99.99% of the music stated as minimal these days is the direct opposite of minimal. sounds more like pitched-down hard house or something.
Dunno about the hard house bit :?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

kristofason wrote:
vermi wrote:don't see the problem either. he's totally correct. 99.99% of the music stated as minimal these days is the direct opposite of minimal. sounds more like pitched-down hard house or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8JjTQWx3y0
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

kristofason wrote:
example: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54252 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmv8xAWv3M )

or the one tone-def posted ;)
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

I'm thinking "Maximal" where is the opposite of "Minimal"..

More industrial, harder, more uptempo, more melodic layers...

Yeah. I don't see the House..

I think even then True "Maximal" could only have one real house trait...

Funky broken beat basses.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

well , the problem with guys like T is bashing , what is the point ?
i mean hear what is cool now, this kind of bongo / house or whatever , now that everybody jumped into this wagon it seems mandatory for them to spit on whatever they call minimal and they used to play themselves ... it is easy to know what they will be bashing in 6 month ...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

camus wrote: i mean hear what is cool now, this kind of bongo / house or whatever.
bongos in house have always been big. but they kind of suck as a lead instrument.

when people start recognizing creativity again the bongo house will be in trouble.
Marvid
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Marvid »

tone-def wrote:when people start recognizing creativity again the bongo house will be in trouble.
No copycat feels at home where creativity dwells - but it's gotta be well received, too. And that's the tough part most of the time - finding a place where you don't have to bend yourself to fit in. Existence of a taste-police with commets like “unsuitable” set are a sure sign for an anti-creative approach towards music.
That's where I'm with DJ T: there's no need to love all the content available - but everyone who raises structures above substance just kills everything.
The eternal struggle between people who just want to contribute without limitations and people who cant do so (for whatever reason) gaining control over structures to fill their inner emptiness with a feeling of power.
In arts it's just embarrassing - in other aspects of life it hurts and destroys souls & bodies.