How has your taste progressed?

- open
Mise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How has your taste progressed?

Post by Mise »

How has your taste in minimal/techno progressed?

I find as we listen, we develop our own taste in our chosen sound and mature as a listener. We go through phases as this happens and come out the other side feeling more educated/developed and maybe even sometimes a sense of superiority as our knowledge and maturity increases.

Can I ask the question, is there a bias towards a certain sound amongst the minimal connoisseurs? Is there a sound or style that takes precedence over another and a sound that they will steer clear of?

For example (for folk that know the dnb scene) generally the the drum & bass connoisseurs will steer clear of wobble and listen to jungle/amens or 'intelligent/tech' drum and bass.

I ask this as I'm pretty out of the loop in terms of the culture, politics and inter-style rivalries that may or may not go on in the techno scene and would like to know more.

:shock:
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

I use to like m_nus.

Now I like Maurizio.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I like what i like really,i dont have a preference. The majority of dance music has a shelf life too. Stuff sounds fresh and new but then gets copied and the scene gets saturated by that certain sound and gets borin...
Some things are good played out in a club but then listened back thru ur home stereo sound piss weak... its a strange scene to be into
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

no more mannheim for me!
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How has your taste progressed?

Post by miniKAT »

Mise wrote:How has your taste in minimal/techno progressed?

I find as we listen, we develop our own taste in our chosen sound and mature as a listener. We go through phases as this happens and come out the other side feeling more educated/developed and maybe even sometimes a sense of superiority as our knowledge and maturity increases.

Can I ask the question, is there a bias towards a certain sound amongst the minimal connoisseurs? Is there a sound or style that takes precedence over another and a sound that they will steer clear of?

For example (for folk that know the dnb scene) generally the the drum & bass connoisseurs will steer clear of wobble and listen to jungle/amens or 'intelligent/tech' drum and bass.

I ask this as I'm pretty out of the loop in terms of the culture, politics and inter-style rivalries that may or may not go on in the techno scene and would like to know more.

:shock:
What is this sh!t?

Do u not have an opinion or a mind of your own.

Who gives a sh!t who's in the loop or what they're listening to. Listen to what you wanna listen to and nevermind the rivalries, politics and other bullshit which is usually irrelevant to the quality of music.

I think Minus has some great releases but I dont get into the politics and bullshit. Maurizio is classic though, but would u like it just because 2 people told u its great? I hope not, it should be felt, not suggested.

Progression will always come full circle an return to what you started with in one form or another.

I'm sorry for being so direct, but I just call it like I see it
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

anizz wrote:no more mannheim for me!
yeah mannheim... this name has popped up a few times but i don't have a clue what it means or even sounds like.

when i was a teenager i liked darker more aggressive techno which was mostly just drums. now i like jazzy, funky and more soulful music. the house and techno i listen to now has a lot more depth to it, musically.

I've gone from liking Adam Beyer & Richie Hawtin to liking Glenn Underground and Rick Wade. always loved Perlon, Akufen, Boogizm, Basic Channel, Detroit and some other stuff.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

Began with jazzy, funky, to go deeper and darker, then linking flourish and light ambiances with a more subtle darkness.

If it does not sound elegant, timeless/spiritual to my ears, it goes to the dustbin.

So I really can't buy music eyes wide closed when it's about contemporary dance music... except for Murcof (hum, it does not have a 4/4 beat really anymore, but...) and Pantha Du Prince.

I noticed that "spiritual-minded" producers like Pantha and Ion Ludwig for example, make more timeless music than the one who presents his music as "a new funky tool to burn the dancefloor..."

I'm not rich, so I strictly buy something with an artistic value, and in fact, it's better like that.

Less is more! hehe
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

'Ricardo Villalobos-> Ricardo Villalobos :lol: