After Hours: New documentary series from Berlin

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Belgium is only a very small country so it's not really relevant where I live... I don't go out where I live, usually drive to the "bigger" cities like Gent, Antwerp, Leuven or Brussels. I'm not saying that you can't find decent things but generally speaking I seriously prefer the atmosphere in the UK over the current vibe in Belgium. Lack of musical taste, lack of atmosphere and a total non-existence of something resembling a scene.
The proof is pretty clear, we have some great producers over here like Ramon tapia, Peter Van Hoesen, Tom Hades, massimo Girardi, hermanez etc, but these people get almost no recognition in their own country while abroad they are respected and loved. That's really a sad thing imho. It becomes even more silly to see that people like Peter Van Hoesen first have to get gigs at Berghain etc before the local clubs started noticing him. That's a very typical thing here.

Everyone just does something on their own and even try to sabotage the others rather than working together. Pretty sad really. Events bringing quality either have empty floors or if it's filled, it's filled with people just staring, and talking, not dancing. Seems like people just don't want to hear good stuff, they just want to hear Bonkers for the millionth time :)
What I mean with preferring the UK is that even in the big clubs I think people dance and have fun, there's atmosphere, while 9/10 events in Belgium lately just look like the annual reception of an IT company.

Brussels is a good exception fortunately, BEMF is indeed promising, also some nights at Botanique and of course good ol' Fuse is really great. And if that's your thing, definitely check out Resonance Festival in Ghent somewhere in March, Marcel Fengler and Bruno Pronsato amongst others...
kgw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kgw »

I see. That's a shame.

My best clubbing experience in the past few years was last year's BEMF, so I do hold it in high regard. I also spent NYE at Cafe Capital in Antwerp, which was decent enough but only a tiny club. Still had a nice vibe though.

I'll keep an eye out for the Resonance Festival next year, obviously too late to go this year as I have booked my Eurostar & hotel for BEMF.

I will also be checking out Fuse at some point. Heard many many good things about that place. I had the pleasure of seeing resident Pierre last year so I know the music will be quality.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

kgw wrote:I had the pleasure of seeing resident Pierre last year so I know the music will be quality.
Wait till you hear Deg, he really is on another level. Sometimes even on another planet :lol:

Peter Van Hoesen also has a monthly residency now at Fuse, so pretty safe to say Fuse's a sure bet these days. You can always pop 'round during BEMF, everything is pretty close by in brussels.
Gerhart
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gerhart »

I think us belgians simply don't have a club culture.
we have our beloved café's with local beers etc

I guess Belgians love that kind of nostalgia wich you won't really find on a mnml party.

Not a fan of the bar-culture myself (what's the fun of getting drunk and beeing "locked-up" in a bar?)
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Would like to have the subtitles :)
Carlj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Carlj »

About the Belgium story, i live in the Netherlands and everything ends at 4 or 5 in the morning when a party is just getting started.
Illegal party's are beeing shut down by the police. So many times when i go out, i drive to Belgium, especially the Fuse or Silo in Leuven.
Where the atmosphere is great and those clubs are open till 7 / 8 in the morning.

Also i have to say this, because of Berlin beeing so great a lot of producer, labels from Dusseldorf, Cologne are moved to Berlin. So in the Ruhrarea there are almost no good partys anymore....

Anyway nice movie about the Berlin scene, the feeling i get from it makes me to go there soon again.
btw. never had trouble at the Berghain with the bouncers.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

ewinz wrote:Would like to have the subtitles :)
+1

Would be great, some one let us know if you find any.
Miss Sunshine
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Miss Sunshine »

me tooo!
I dont understand anything :S