Rock and other kinds of music

- open
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Rock and other kinds of music

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

There is always a disscusion going on in this forum about how alot of techno sounds the same as everything else. I just wanted to here your opinions on other kinds of music.

For example rock music has sounded pretty much similar it's whole history. Especially the instrumentation has been very much the same the whole time.

Also artmusic or classical music has since experemintations by John Cage and Stockhausen and some of the DADA and Futurist composers dabbed in the same field for quit some time.

Both of these styles have been around alot longer than techno have. So what is you'r take on this are these still standing art forms that you cannot appreciate or are you of another oppinion.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

the sound has always been the same but the possibilities are endless. Just as in dance music... it's not because it has already been done that a track is automatically not interesting.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

To be honest I’ve never really been one to complain about techno all sounding the same. Sure a lot of DJs end up playing sets which sound very alike but I come from the angle that if its all sounding the same then you aren’t looking hard enough or taking the time to delve deeper and maybe take a look in other places. There’s so much electronic music out there that there’s no real excuse for DJs to be all sounding the same… Of course though the reality is a lot of them do.

As for rock and other types of music I don’t really take very much time to discover new stuff. I only hear what my friends listen to and to be honest it all sounds pretty bland to me. I think for the most part they just listen to what they’ve been told is ‘the new big thing’ which tends to be something different every month. I’ve never really connected with rock or vocal led music for some reason. I can’t force myself to like it so I’ve just assumed I’ll naturally grow towards it as I get older and broaden my horizons. For now though I’m more than happy with techno/electronic music.
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

I appreciate all of the music unless the artist is doing solely for money and not for artistic expression or because it's their passion. I was into classic rock, hip hop, jazz and indie stuff long before I discovered EDM.

So in my opinion it's not about whether someone is spinning played out sh!t or not, sure that happens sometimes but I don't really get caught up on that. I think some artists are better at producing certain styles, some DJs are better at different styles of mixing than others. For example, I appreciate someone who can spin three or four records at a time and make it sound good just as much as I appreciate someone spinning one track to the next but took a lot more time choosing what records they were going to play or used more effects. Different people are good at different things.

Same goes with rock. Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn were probably the same in skill level, but Hendrix had used more feedback, and SRV added a southern texas flavor. Everyone is good in their own ways.

Don't misinterpret me though, some people do just suck horribly, and there's no denying it. :)
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

I think the fact is, the more tech side of EDM (techno, trance, etc... as opposed to house) is so wildly different from the drums, guitar, bass and vox style of music, that people pick the things they see as different (higher tempo, synthesized sounds, the whole buildup/drop form as opposed to verse/chorus) and lump them together accordingly. Regardless of what I'm playing, my GF refers to it as Techno :?

A Mitsubishi Lancer and a Toyota Corolla (as an example) are in the same class (small auto), but are still different. Most people can see that, and would be able to choose their preference if presented with one or the other. If the same person looked at two different semi-trailers of the same class, they'd have a much harder time deciding differences that would be obvious to any truckie.

Now I'm just rambling, but that's my $0.02...
-- sherman