Berghain Soundsytem

- open
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

cloutier wrote:everyone loves to dog on pioneer mixers because the djm.500 / 600 were such gloriously overhyped piles of sh!t. personally, outside of the x.one:62, anything else from a+h is also a gloriously overhyped pile of sh!t. the 92 feels like a tinker toy, and its not nearly as warm sounding as the 62. outside of that, its just pedantic jockriding of hawtin and crew.

i'd take a pioneer djm.800 over a a+h x.one:92 any day. but i'd take my ecler nuo.5 over those two without question. and i'd kill to own one of those formula sound mixers, or even a rane 2016a with the expander.
I had a bit of extra dough to play with a few months ago, so I decided to get a hi-end mixer. S0 I looked at the evo5, xone 4d, the 2016 w/ the expander, the urei1620, bozak (realy wanted to play around with the rotatry stuff). I sold my old mixer on craigslist and found a guy that had the 2016 w/ the expander in the box, fairly new looking for around a 1000, (maybe 900, dont remember). so I looked online at some reviews and they were like with most things 50/50. Some say good sound, some say bad imitation of the 1620. I even made a thread about it here asking if anyone used it. Anyway the guy had shitty computer speakers and I couldnt really hear the mixer, so we decided to meet another day at my crib so I could hear it. I went home and looked on craigslist and saw a xone4d for 2 gs, went looked at it, it was almost brand new in the box, (some rich kid decided he didnt wanna be a DJ, so dad was selling it) I offered him 1700, he took it. I was always leaning towards something with midi and a soundcard, so I decided to go with it, and the condition and price caught me. The sound is great, compared to other sh!t that I had and the midi and all that sh!t is very comfortable if u use traktor but I was always curious about the 2016, maybe I shoulda gotten that. I have heard from a few people that the xones arent what they used to be, they dont even make them in UK anymore. China=(((

oh and my boy has the 800, 4d sounds better IMO =))) But i would never pay over 2gs for the 4d
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

cloutier wrote:its one thing to have an entire funktion-one sound system...

but having just played labyrinth in japan a week ago, not only do you have to have that sound system, but you need to have their custom mixers, made by formula sound, which both berghain and labyrinth use.

http://www.funktion-one.com/Labyrinth%20Festival.htm
http://www.formula-sound.com/products/ff6000/index.php

and yes...they do sound amazing when done properly. probably the best sound system in the world, if you ask me.
Awesome looking festival! Love the teepee setup.
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

the sound at labyrinth is on a whole different level. never heard anything sound as good, not at berghain or anywhere else.
miles
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by miles »

i'm not quite sure but i think i saw funktion one loudspeakers at dc10 (ibiza) last week. they sounded fuckin amazing!
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

chrisdisco wrote:the sound at labyrinth is on a whole different level. never heard anything sound as good, not at berghain or anywhere else.

wot about Fabric room 1????????????????????
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

vitocorleone wrote:
chrisdisco wrote:the sound at labyrinth is on a whole different level. never heard anything sound as good, not at berghain or anywhere else.

wot about Fabric room 1????????????????????
no indoor space is going to sound as good as a properly configured open air, provided the wind is low. Ive never been to fabric, but is there any acoustic treatment in that brick room?
freeeeeee
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

dont turn it into a, which soundsystem sounds better - discussion.

Fabric sounds amazing, and open airs naturally also.

there is a level, where it dont get better.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Themis wrote:dont turn it into a, which soundsystem sounds better - discussion.
im just saying that any enclosed space has compromised acoustics which will alter he performance of any sound system. a positive side effect is that the room will also enclose the bass. clubs can go forward with many steps to present a more ideal listening environment. the paradise garage was a perfect example. let's put it this way - opera houses and concert halls are often designed with audio in mind, clubs less so.
freeeeeee