Hello, could someone critique this quick little mix?

- open
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Erich Zann wrote:
miniKAT wrote:
Erich Zann wrote:
miniKAT wrote:
apanell wrote:it's probably comperable to what most people dj nowadays anyway
all you need to do is have some release on vinyl and you will be overwhelmed with gigs
Well, I wouldnt go that far, but keep at it and make the right connections and who knows....

sh!t...if u a turntablist, use timecodes with traktor and incorporate those skills into ur sets.
That's my goal but at the moment I have my decks, and I have a pirated version of Traktor, so no go on incorporation just yet. I am trying to come up with ideas to incorporate different things into a set so hopefully soon I can execute them =). For no though, I am just working on flow. Obviously I need to work on that a lot, heh.

U mean u dont have your decks and u have a pirated version of Traktor.

Nah I mean since I have a pirated version of traktor I don't have the proper soundcard to
connect my turntables to traktor.
Oh well, u should buy the software if u like it and plan on using it all the time. I'm all for trying stuff out first but if u gonna really use it then buy it. They did a really good job with the latest version.
superk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by superk »

Come on guys I think its pretty obvious this is a bit of trolling. Funny though.
Erich Zann
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Erich Zann »

superk wrote:Come on guys I think its pretty obvious this is a bit of trolling. Funny though.
Nope, not a troll. I didn't know it was THAT shitty! Heh, back to the drawing board then I guess.
superk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by superk »

ha ha. Oh well my stuff is sh!t too. Takes long time. Keep at it.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

i like the mistakes in the mix, the presence of a hand, theres this dj from new york now i tihnk....dj spun....maybe he went back to san francisco, but anyway....hes this dj that gets the tracks off so much, but in the end finds the groove and somehow it creates a thick vibe.Hes really fantastic. traktor mixing to me is so sterile. dont like it.

maybe turntable culture has turned into software culture, but theres something there you cant capture in a full digital set up. Gotta touch the vinyl. Atleast get something like Serato or Torq. my opinion
signatures suck
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

mlexicon wrote:i like the mistakes in the mix, the presence of a hand, theres this dj from new york now i tihnk....dj spun....maybe he went back to san francisco, but anyway....hes this dj that gets the tracks off so much, but in the end finds the groove and somehow it creates a thick vibe.Hes really fantastic. traktor mixing to me is so sterile. dont like it.

maybe turntable culture has turned into software culture, but theres something there you cant capture in a full digital set up. Gotta touch the vinyl. Atleast get something like Serato or Torq. my opinion
But u can use vinyl in traktor too if u want.

I know exactly what ur talking about, a lot of oldskool DJs have that flow where u can hear the beats off a bit, and when he finds the spot and the tracks start moving together in the same direction, u kinda feel like "oh sh!t, here we go"

Thats that sh!t. I luv it, Jeff mills has that going on, atkins (has it alot=)))

U can actually get that in traktor (dont know about other DVS) by having everything synced to a clock so its always the same BPM and when u throw a new track in, instead of pressing sync, use the tempo bend at the top of the deck to get the track in sync with the others, that way it wont be perfect like when u have the comp do it. Of course u can have it off a little bit or have 4 decks going at diff positions, etc etc I also love when DJ's scratch in a new track and just get it right on point, Hood does it best, Dearborn, May. I think its great when u can hear the mix in a set, it gives it that progression, that change of mood...and ur right, it is missing from a lot of todays DJ's repertoires. But I wouldnt blame it on Digital I would blame it on the DJ.

Nothing compares to vinyl but dont underestimate the power of that program, its actually pretty good.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Erich Zann wrote:
superk wrote:Come on guys I think its pretty obvious this is a bit of trolling. Funny though.
Nope, not a troll. I didn't know it was THAT shitty! Heh, back to the drawing board then I guess.
Dont listen to him its not that bad, just arrange your tracks better, what should go before what. like "How can I get from this type of track to this one without people realizing I just switched genres"

U have some decent tracks in the set and a few good mixes, just work on the flow and progression.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

mlexicon wrote:i like the mistakes in the mix, the presence of a hand, theres this dj from new york now i tihnk....dj spun....maybe he went back to san francisco, but anyway....hes this dj that gets the tracks off so much, but in the end finds the groove and somehow it creates a thick vibe.Hes really fantastic. traktor mixing to me is so sterile. dont like it.

Beatmatching on turntables is just as easy as software once you get used to it. Keep practicing Mr. Zann, and you'll possess a valuable skill that most kids today are too lazy to learn. 8)