artists, what do you get having a booking agent?

- open
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:The good and bigger players do exactly the stuff that you write.
Get you bookings, sort out the practical stuff regarding flights/hotels/etc, and do the contract stuff with the clubs.

That is what, IMO, a booking agency's job is.

But sadly there seems to be as many booking agencies as labels/artists now a days, and I would say that 90% of these have no real network within the booking/club scene and therefore most of these can't really get their artists any gigs, so artists end up doing what they've always been doing, getting themselves gigs and not getting anything from the booking agency (am I just talking out of experience here or what?!?!?! ahhaha)...

most booking agencies take between 10-15% on top of your fee.
That's so true.
Anonym
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Anonym »

Patrick is right, but not thinking or dealing with the logistics headache and having someone else handle is much nicer then doing it yourself. If you can find good people... As for more bookings maybe some can get you ones you would not get on your own, but really it is your profile working for you that gets you gigs. So keep pushing and releasing good music and eventually you will get where you want...

Or just be a social darling and snort everything with all the right people and don't forget to suck their dicks and kiss their ass and you get there alot quicker... For me I don't like the taste of ass or dicks and I don't snort anything sooo it's taking me a little longer lol....
Where where where am I? Who who am I?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Anonym wrote: As for more bookings maybe some can get you ones you would not get on your own, but really it is your profile working for you that gets you gigs. So keep pushing and releasing good music and eventually you will get where you want...
Yes, people shouldn't forget this one. If you are not interesting enough it's clear that you have a hard time getting gigs. Releasing records is the deal.
Anonym wrote: Or just be a social darling and snort everything with all the right people and don't forget to suck their dicks and kiss their azz and you get there alot quicker
Also very true :lol: :lol:
minimim
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by minimim »

not all good producers are good djs.
It's ridiculous how hard we try.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

minimim wrote:not all good producers are good djs.
And good dj's aren't automatically good producers.
that's exactly what the problem is imho: to get booked as a dj you need to produce. But maybe producing is totally not your thing. So the promotor will book a producer-who-does-dj-sets-for-the-money and the party will be less good because mister producer can't do as good as a 'pure breed' dj.
Anyway. Not much we can do about it can we :-)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

True, but this is how the business works.
minimim
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by minimim »

PsyTox wrote:
And good dj's aren't automatically good producers.
that's exactly what the problem is imho: to get booked as a dj you need to produce. But maybe producing is totally not your thing. So the promotor will book a producer-who-does-dj-sets-for-the-money and the party will be less good because mister producer can't do as good as a 'pure breed' dj.
Anyway. Not much we can do about it can we :-)
You said it. The party will be less good. So the promoter has to be smart enough to understand this thing. Lots of people are dissapointed from so called star djs but good producers once they see them behind the decks.

For sure marketing is one of the most important things to throw a party ( and here's where the name counts ) but the reputation of the artist and of the promoter himself can go down in 2-3 parties.

And here's the role of the booking agent. More good parties for a smaller fee or just a few so-so parties with a bigger fee ? It's up the the dj to decide anyway.
It's ridiculous how hard we try.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

patrick bateman wrote: most booking agencies take between 10-15% on top of your fee.
and some charge the promoter, but one can argue if this ultimately comes out of the performers pocket
freeeeeee