The Age Old Question...

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

The Age Old Question...

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I have read pages and pages of arguments on this subject and I was wondering what you guys think on the subject of mp3 compression methods.

320 kbs Constant Bit Rate vs Highest Quality Variable Bit Rate

There seems to be a lot of people with good arguments for one or the other. I can't decide.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

while the arguments abound, i'm of the school of thought whereas storage is so cheap now, it makes absolutely no sense to compress files more than necessary.
320k MP3 is my personal lowest for playing out, and FLAC or even WAV/AIFF are totally viable options....
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I agree with the above statement about playing out files at 320 however some tracks are just timeless and just a few 192 would be considered.. if that is all that one may be able to get close to...

Im still on the fence with 320.. perhaps and (more than likely) it's the original mastering.. but I find the high end of 320 kps files almost not balanced.... as if the low and middle end has been compressed and the high end is still there.. just my instinct talking here..

I could favor 256 before 320 .. however my verdict is still open on this ..

waves & vinyl would be my first preference.
Narcisse2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Narcisse2 »

storage is so cheap.

so bypass 320 and VBR, get WAV or FLAC.

If not for audiophile reasons, get them for archival purposes.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

yes
wave 24bit
bazz001
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bazz001 »

For people using Ableton Live,

It actually uses more space on your harddrive if you d'load mp3s.
Each time you import an mp3, Live converts it to wav and saves it in the decoding cache. So you actually have an mp3 and wav on your harddrive.

320kbs constant bit rate is the next best thing to wav tho imo, with regards to quality. It loses the least audio data during conversion.

Regardless of the bit rate of your mp3, the nature of how they reduce the size of the original audio file means that you are losing information from the original recording.

The conversion process uses psychoacoustic masking techniques to try and cover the loss of info, making it hardly noticeable to most people but, imo, you are better going for the wav option every time so that you get the full quality master.

I think it's worth the extra money you pay for wavs as it means your music collection is of full quality. Especially when playing gigs, I like to have the knowledge that the music is sounding as good as possible.

If i'm short of cash and there are lots of tracks I really want i would still buy some 320 mp3s tho.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah the question is why using mp3? cause its one euro cheaper on beatport?
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Themis wrote:yeah the question is why using mp3? cause its one euro cheaper on beatport?
I buy 320 most of the time because it is cheaper, but if there is a record I really want then I just get the vinyl.

I have never felt the need to buy WAV just for listening in my bedroom, would it really make THAT much of a difference?