What was the first track that piqued your interest in techno

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

What was the first track that piqued your interest in techno

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

What was the first track that really hit you in a solid way and first piqued your interest in techno or if you would like to refine the question minimal techno. Either answer would be interesting but please don't reference some ancestral influence/precursor to techno as we know it. (Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and so on...)

When I was in my mid teens I liked house, trance, jungle and DnB but I wasn't too crazy about techno generally speaking. At the time in my mind techno embodied a really mechanical/industrial space that was far too unmusical and repetitive for me to get into. Im thinking about the kind of stuff Kenny Glasgow or Roland the Bastard would play. I felt it dulled my mind.

I think the first time I really sat up and said yo this sh!t is fucking cool was the first time I heard "Electricity by Naughty & Tolis." I know this because it was on Mixmag Live! Volume 20 by Richie Hawtin. My friend stole the CD from this hopeless pothead... sad story I know but I am glad it happed because the first time I heard that track I really "felt" techno music.

I forgot about this track for a long time until I heard it again a little while ago. I am going to buy it. I am not 100% sure its the right track from the mix though :P

http://www.discogs.com/Naughty-Tolis-Mi ... lease/4824

Its labeled deep house but I think that just because the minimal techno genre wasnt really around. Came out in 95 I think. Great track.

What what was the first techno / min techno that you really felt?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

not easy to be too specific.

I used to hate dancey kinda music, and also any electronic stuff.

But slowly I started listening to some dancier and more electronic stuff. Quite a bit of DFA post-punk disco style stuff, and also some 'folktronica' (horrible word, I know) like Four Tet and Manitoba.

Anyways I was starting to get the feeling that maybe electronic dance music wasn't a complete waste of time, and I ended up at a Kompakt night in Fabric with some close friends and some pretty dirty but strong pills. I didn't look back.

The stuff that reminds me of my first waltzs with techno is...

THe Hacker - Fadin' Away (DIma remix)

cheezey but really beautiful track. Nostalgic but also made me feel alive right now, and glad to be alive in the 20th century.

Superpticher - Heroin

jeesus. I hadn't heard anything so dancey and beauiful in my life

some early Mathew Jonson stuff.

happy (and sad) days.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Daft Punk - Homework was what turned me onto electronic music. Still love the album.
Combe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Combe »

The first electronic music I have listen was a best of album of Vangelis, when I was about 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: What was the first track that piqued your interest in te

Post by miniKAT »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:What was the first track that really hit you in a solid way and first piqued your interest in techno or if you would like to refine the question minimal techno. Either answer would be interesting but please don't reference some ancestral influence/precursor to techno as we know it. (Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and so on...)

When I was in my mid teens I liked house, trance, jungle and DnB but I wasn't too crazy about techno generally speaking. At the time in my mind techno embodied a really mechanical/industrial space that was far too unmusical and repetitive for me to get into. Im thinking about the kind of stuff Kenny Glasgow or Roland the Bastard would play. I felt it dulled my mind.

I think the first time I really sat up and said yo this sht is fcking cool was the first time I heard "Electricity by Naughty & Tolis." I know this because it was on Mixmag Live! Volume 20 by Richie Hawtin. My friend stole the CD from this hopeless pothead... sad story I know but I am glad it happed because the first time I heard that track I really "felt" techno music.

I forgot about this track for a long time until I heard it again a little while ago. I am going to buy it. I am not 100% sure its the right track from the mix though :P

http://www.discogs.com/Naughty-Tolis-Mi ... lease/4824

Its labeled deep house but I think that just because the minimal techno genre wasnt really around. Came out in 95 I think. Great track.

What what was the first techno / min techno that you really felt?

Kinda the same thing here. "Live @ the Liquid Room" put me on the right track though. left all that other sh!t behind.

Minimal was around in 95 though. Hawtin was mixing it and making it. Maybe not the minimal u hear today, but minimal nevertheless. I bought a record by T1000 in 96 or 97 called "minimal science". Dj slip, hood were doing the minimal thing, adam x was mixing it in the late 90's.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Chemical Brothers - surrender
Leftfield - rhythm and stealth
The Aztec Mystic - nights of the jaguar
Laurent Garnier - the man with the red face

then a year later i heard Luke Slater mixing on the radio and i started saving for my decks. the big track i remember from that mix was Ben Sims - manipulated (Adam Beyer remix).
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

for me, it all started with Streetsounds Electro mixtapes and breakdancing... then i remember being very excited by Stakker - Humanoid when that first came out. About that time, Acid House was breaking through and I loved the bendy sound of the 303 - also Kevin Saunderson was releasing some huge hits like Big Fun. Kiss FM in London was amazing in their first few licensed years: Colin Dale and Colin Faver played music from another planet (Detroit most of the time). Around the same time, I'd always be tuning into Don FM and other London housemusic pirate stations. And then, after I heard Jeff Mills: Live at Liquid Room there really was no turning back. Love it :)[/b]
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

Dudes put some music with it!

I switched to electronic music a bit later then my friends,
I preferred hiphop instead. Didn't like the sound that much.

But then I heard Tricky Disco with Flyspray and like I said before
on this board, especially that track changed everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAhd-LGfC80