Late Disco/Early House

- open
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

everybody ... just listen to that link i posted. its so horny.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

interesting posts here.

disco is kinda interesting as a form of music. more accesible than techno to many audiences, maybe cos of the sex thing that has been mentioned, which appeals to many people who maybe aren't into deep and 'druggier' mindstates.

I quite liked the DFA stuff, I found it quite exciting for a time, and I think listening to it helped 'prepare' me for the techno experience. some music from that scene I still really love.

Probably that kinda music reaches the kind of audiences that disco reached out to however many years ago (maybe).

Arthur Russell was amazing. Used disco as a format but incorperated so much more into it. Dance floor kinda music, but with some more personal expression and interesting production techniques.

with sexiness in music I find it offputting. I prefer trippy, deep, emotinoal and kinda jazzier vibes. I guess it's a personal thing, and definitely I don;t wanna say sexiness in music is a bad thing, just doesn't really work for me unless it's buried a few layers deeper and isn't a really obvious kinda message. But ah I dunno, I totally love 'I feel Love' and that tune is kinda a musical climax. hmm.

I would agree with Atheory that Autechre reached the furthest point as far as working with machinary and stuff goes, but that doesn't mean it's the 'best' music (not that he said that). Loads of great music can come from people not pushing boundaries but working with ideas in a simpler way. For example, some Kompakt was really simple & 'pop music' kinda (eg Mayer, Koehncke, Superpitcher) but was totally excellent and really amazing on many levels.

I think some minimal stuff was a very important movement in music though, and I think the ideas that were touched on thru stripping back things will continue to be used in many forms of music.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

stevësto wrote: i think the minimal techno popularity of this time right now, is the peak of evolution of dance music, we've reach the highest and most pure form. but its too serious, the fun and silliness is gone, and most importantly, the sex is gone. minimalist music is adrogenous, most of it is just not sexy. i truly believe dance music at its peak right now will self implode, producers will take a step back to look at whats going on and go back to the basics and start over, like one big cycle.
It would be nice to hear some more minimal that isn't so "serious," but the younger kids like that stuff. They also like progressive and trance, but don't know it because it's being sold to them as "minimal techno". :lol:

If you want to hear disco mixes, check out this page.

http://www.deephousepage.com/

DJ Rahaan is a good one to start with. There's a bunch of other house and techno stuff on there too.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

trak660 wrote: It would be nice to hear some more minimal that isn't so "serious," but the younger kids like that stuff. They also like progressive and trance, but don't know it because it's being sold to them as "minimal techno". :lol:
really?

i think most minimal today is a joke. how could anyone say the italian or minus sound is serious music? or the "i want to sound like luciano" sound? then you got the people who make music with a sense of humour like akufen, mossa, crackhaus, pantytec, paradroid, fym, s-max and many more. i love this kind of stuff
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

tone-def wrote:...you got the people who make music with a sense of humour like akufen, mossa, crackhaus, pantytec, paradroid, fym, s-max and many more. i love this kind of stuff
yeah i love all the boogism records stuff, very quirky and very funky
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

Yeah, I'm a fan. Also into Arthur Russel, loose joints, Dinosaur L etc.

Some of the Ron Hardy edits are along those lines.

Also, if you dig through all the DFA stuff, some of the productions have that sound... You might like the LCD soundsystem mix thats on Itunes.. its 42 mintues.. first bit is so awesome when the vocal drops.. at least I think. DFA did an Arthur Russell remix thats good as well...

I'd think the sound you speak of covers S-Express as well? little more 80s to that though.

Also Carl Craig believe it or not has one or two productions deep in catalogs

like that... definitely more techy, but that classic disco feel... there is one track in particular but I forget the name... i'll have to dig it up I suppose ;)

Do you also fancy Italo? some of that has a good sound like early disco/house stuff... loose but bass heavy I guess... thats a whole other thread though...
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Since disco is made by live bands, many mixes were rather bumpy. You have to literally ride the pitch up and down. Holding the mix for 32 or even 16 beats is very challenging.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Man this thread turned out alot better then i thought!

Been checking out all the links and stuff and it's all great. Recently listend to a Larry Levan mix were he mixes Jakki - Sun Sun Sun, so i spoted that it's the track DJ Duke remixed for rekids Cabin Fever. Those Cabin Fever releases and also alot of the housier stuff from rekids and perhaps planet E as well is really the part of techno i enjoy the most.

About minimal being silly and what the peek of music is... this disscusion is really silly in way. What the hell is the peek of a music genre or music at all? And theres some great stuff being tagged as minimal and theres some horribal stuff being tagged as everything else.