How to cheat in digital distribution

- open
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How to cheat in digital distribution

Post by camus »

sorry for my bad english

Everyone knows that some digital shops allows one to buy his own tracks so he can enter the charts( hum B....... )

And it works, if your track is good, not a killer tune ,but well produced.
You can invest for exemple 100 or 200 bucks to enter a top 100 or a top 10 genre.

As people always buy the sh!t in charts you can be sure to recover at least 50% of your 'investment'.

Is it a bad thing? well major labels do this, how come a crappy song gets its way to the charts?

Even book editors do that, cause what makes the charts in book edition, is not the amount of book that is actually sold but the amount of book that is produced and delivered to the bookstores. So you can be a bestseller without having actually sold any book. it is called promotion

the problem with this system is when everyone does this.

it becomes more and more expensive as you have to sell more tracls ( to buy more of your tracks ) to enter the charts.

but it is much effective than promoting your music via adsense or an expensive promopool system.

You only need to enter the charts once to be known. and it can boost your dj career.

how do you think some minor techno dudes that produce crappy music become well known and get booked everywhere even if nobody support them?

so who already did this? and how much did it cost?, let's speak about this industry "secret" freely. All is about cheating.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Okay, I admit, that I more or less only buy from Beatport and get the rest on promo, but how will you 'cheat' on Beatport?
You can buy a track one time only, and that will not get you in the top 10.
Will you get 100-200 of your 'closets' friends to buy it also or ??

Please enlighten me.
I know that the 'buying' your own music has been done for ages by the big companies, but I find it hard to do at Beatport, and if the other stores work the same way, then I can't see how to do it.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

well , even if it is possible ( multiple accounts , etc... ) to cheat on your own, the best way to cheat is to do it with the knowlegde of the shop...

It is well known that some shops ( i can't say their names , even if i got proofs i got no money right now to hire a lawyer ) are ok with helping those who pay for it to get in the charts.

some charts are manipulated one way or another, by direct help (pay to stay in charts) or indirect help ( banners on homepage, etc...) but you have to pay , that is the point.some Shops don't care as long as money is flowing...

Like you have to pay some magazines or some sites (by buying ad space for exemple) if you want a good review on your album etc...
Business as usual...

so who does it?

that is a good question and some of us would be suprised by the answer , yeah even some so called hardcore/underground/veteran producers participate in the "scam".

And i'm not talking about who really produced this or that track that tops the charts, this is another subject...
Last edited by camus on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

patrick bateman wrote: Please enlighten me.
I know that the 'buying' your own music has been done for ages by the big companies, but I find it hard to do at Beatport, and if the other stores work the same way, then I can't see how to do it.
probably better that we not enlighten you, err, the whole forum.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

stevësto wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: Please enlighten me.
probably better that we not enlighten you, err, the whole forum.
indeed , that is why i don't say any names, i'm just saying don't be pissed if your making great music and you never enter charts , even if you do "regular and honest" promo. Maybe your strategy lacks of something...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

ok so you cant say any names ...

hm and i think you are not going to prove some of your accusations ...

so the whole thread is about our feelings if we dont sell enough tracks

thats very thoughtful of you
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

being a whistleblower is fun and all, but unless you personally have been cheated, i really see no point in any of this.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Why waste your energy discussing talentless people who rely on sales gimmicks to propel their careers? Focus that energy on something more positive, like making better music or digging for great tracks rather than focusing on who "buys their way into the top 10."