Programmers: Help mnml.nl

- open
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

As you know mnml.nl is extensive community with more then 100.000 unique visitors a month. For some time know there have been plans to expand the site with new functionality. There are allot of ideas and even designs.

To this day those ideas haven't become a reality. The main obstacle is that we don't have enough technical people on board to help improve the site. We have enough people to maintain the forum as it is, but not enough to make expand the site any further.

We figured that somewhere among those 100.000 visitors there must be people who are skilled an willing to help out. This is an open request to programmers who are willing to participate in making the site even better.

Please reply below. List your experience and maybe show us some things you worked on. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by -ix on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

A good improvement for the site would be to have an application that lists upcoming and past events in a manner that is easier to read. Like when an event has passed it should be marked as such and filtered out when people search for coming events. Old events could be kept on file and perhaps allow stories or pics from the event be uploaded.
luke78
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by luke78 »

I do web design: HTML, CSS and a bit of Javascript/Jquery (but GUI stuff rather than pure coding) for a living - You probably have people already to help with that, but I would be glad to lend a hand if not.
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

the search function could use some more options, like list by date, name, etc.
cloutier wrote:
minimalwyte wrote:When does Digweed come in?
he comes in around 1994 and leaves around 2002.
amber_sun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by amber_sun »

yes, the search function:
it could allow you to search only in the topic title
and when you search in the message text it could go directly to the page of the message that contains the keyword

I know I'm not answering to your question, and probably you already know that, but... just in case...
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

amber_sun wrote:yes, the search function:
it could allow you to search only in the topic title
and when you search in the message text it could go directly to the page of the message that contains the keyword

I know I'm not answering to your question, and probably you already know that, but... just in case...
that would be sweet yeh
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

100 000 unique visitors? I am curious, how much bandwidth does your phpbb use in a month?

I am a php programmer and I might be willing to build a event listing service or a more useful system for browsing netlabel releases.

However, after the way everyone turned on me over my casual joke about dubstep and my subsequent demotion in status to mnml newbie (which as I understand it is meant to be taken as a slight) such an endeavour would not be of an altruistic nature.

I would like to host the tool on my own webspace and see about generating some ad revenue from it if possible. I could maintain a consistent look with mnml.nl and we could declare it to be part of the mnml network with links or a redirect from the events section of mnml.nl. The event listing application would appear in a new window and have the same look and feel as the rest of mnml.nl. I am kind of surprised that you guys don't have any ads by the way. Theres a lot of web hosts out there who host free forums in an attempt at generating ad revenue. They would kill to have a forum as sucessful as this one.

Let me know if you are open to the idea but I have to really think about it before making a solid commitment because I have a lot of things on my plate. Things I should be getting done... instead of browsing netlabels, listening to the nonsense that comes out of vito's mouth or trying to create the perfect dub chord. Plus I am not sure it would be worth the effort because most event postings only get 25-50 hits and I bet more often then not its the same people reading them all.
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:100 000 unique visitors? I am curious, how much bandwidth does your phpbb use in a month?
http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42036

Thanks for the input so far.

This website has no ads because this is just charity for me and
the mods. Without there effort this website would be a mess,
because I don't have the time nor the knowledge for it at the moment.