reso
heyoka
spoonbill
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

chutnut wrote:
Atheory wrote:lots of those artists just ditched their sound and jumped on the dubstep bandwagon. why has no one mentioned mala or digital mystiks?
you do realise coki is the other half of digital mystikz?
and out of the people listed the only ones who could be considered to have jumped on the bandwagon are milanese and martyn
yes, i know who coki is, thanks and, you know, not from reading about it on the internet. without even looking back on the list, the planet mu artists mentioned were doing quite different stuff to dubstep when it was emerging, so when i said LOTS, i didnt mean everyone of the artists named, i meant a lot of them.

anyway, the conversation had moved on to talking about dubstep (see interesting posts by audio dependent etc) so maybe you might want to post something more along those lines and it would be more in the spirit of an interesting topic.

but actually, on listening to the vex'd thing that livecollective recommended, i don't really think its dubstep at all.

and zomby, rustie and joker, i dunno, it gets called dubstep but rustie seems more influenced by american hiphop, crunk etc than jungle/2 step.
zombys album isn't dubstep to my ears ethier, but definitly has hardcore/jungle influence, and joker, well maybe more dubstep than those 2, but still a bit removed.

but yeah, much of the other dubstep that i hear has all gotten a bit too middley and unsexy. thats my problem with it, but it happens with all music i guess, that it goes a bit sh!t/more commercial and looses the things that were exciting about it.
warren888k
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by warren888k »

Atheory wrote:
chutnut wrote:
Atheory wrote:lots of those artists just ditched their sound and jumped on the dubstep bandwagon. why has no one mentioned mala or digital mystiks?
you do realise coki is the other half of digital mystikz?
and out of the people listed the only ones who could be considered to have jumped on the bandwagon are milanese and martyn
yes, i know who coki is, thanks and, you know, not from reading about it on the internet. without even looking back on the list, the planet mu artists mentioned were doing quite different stuff to dubstep when it was emerging, so when i said LOTS, i didnt mean everyone of the artists named, i meant a lot of them.

anyway, the conversation had moved on to talking about dubstep (see interesting posts by audio dependent etc) so maybe you might want to post something more along those lines and it would be more in the spirit of an interesting topic.

but actually, on listening to the vex'd thing that livecollective recommended, i don't really think its dubstep at all.

and zomby, rustie and joker, i dunno, it gets called dubstep but rustie seems more influenced by american hiphop, crunk etc than jungle/2 step.
zombys album isn't dubstep to my ears ethier, but definitly has hardcore/jungle influence, and joker, well maybe more dubstep than those 2, but still a bit removed.

but yeah, much of the other dubstep that i hear has all gotten a bit too middley and unsexy. thats my problem with it, but it happens with all music i guess, that it goes a bit sht/more commercial and looses the things that were exciting about it.
i think they are all tangents off a point really, i would play all the above names in my 'dubstep' sets, just because a track doesn't follow the exact blueprint for what you think dubstep is doesn't mean it isn't.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

warren888k wrote:
i think they are all tangents off a point really, i would play all the above names in my 'dubstep' sets, just because a track doesn't follow the exact blueprint for what you think dubstep is doesn't mean it isn't.
i don't think i have an exact blueprint in my head for what dubstep is.

but yeah, as mentioned, theres still some good stuff thats real interesting, mostly i think jokers records, but in terms of being excited by new dubstep records, its pretty rare.