vinyl vs digital, cd, mp3...

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

that wasn't direct at you... fyi..

It was a summary to the thread but I wanted to address your point...

:)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

john clees wrote:that wasn't direct at you... fyi..

It was a summary to the thread but I wanted to address your point...

Fine :)

but regarding the search engine, I'm still surprised. Works every time for me when I'm searching for stuff.
But maybe you guys should rebuild the index, when did you do that the last time??
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

patrick bateman wrote: but regarding the search engine, I'm still surprised. Works every time for me when I'm searching for stuff.
second that, can't remember not finding what i've been looking for.. i think it's only a matter of knowing what to search for. i.e if you want to search for vinyl vs. mp3 topics it's not enough only searching on either "vinyl" or "mp3". gotta think it through and come up with the string that most likely will give the best results. just my 50cent(s) vs. eminem remix
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

vermi wrote:. gotta think it through and come up with the string that most likely will give the best results.
GREAT POINT :!: :!: :!:
vermi wrote:. just my 50cent(s) vs. eminem remix
hahaha..

stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: vinyl vs digital, cd, mp3...

Post by stevësto »

codecks wrote:when I put the needle on the groove I was "astounished" by the sound of it. It was kinda a really smooth warm sound, something really different of my digital releases. I don't really now what it is,
how it was explained to me: the needle talks essentially the same exact language a speaker does. the tiny electromagnetic coil in the needle's pickup converts the vibrations of the needle into a voltage signal. this signal is then amplified and causes the electromagnetic coil in the speaker to vibrate it's diaphragm. do you see the connection? electromagnetic coil in the needle's pickup -> electromagnetic coil in the speaker. it doesn't get any simpler and more pure than that. when you think about it, the speaker is vibrating what the needle is vibrating.

it's the same thing with an electric guitar, it has tiny electromagnetic coils that pickup vibrations which are amplified to a speaker.

digital music, its totally different. with a vinyl, you're listening to the needle's vibrations, with digital, you are listening to a DAC - digital to analog converter. you're listening to a fcking computer chip. the DAC has to convert binary data values into a tiny voltage signal. its a simulation of real sound, its not real. the DAC does not talk the same language a speaker does, it has to do a conversion.
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

(im not refering to anyone commments )

It would be nice to check this

take a vynil conoisseur

put him in club (or a studio whatever)

play several songs (eyes closed uhhh i am romantic ok )

on various formats and let him tell what is vynil and what is cd and what is digital

it would be funnier if we could bet 200€ for example

i already did that , nobody got it right

at the actual state of things with vynil sales decreasing

and the distri closing , theres only one way of keeping the format alive

if u love vynil buy several copies of the record u love (one for u others for all your friends who dont buy vynil anymore)

sorry about this comment but as stupid as it may seem theres no other option
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Just about all electronic music is digital at some point before it even has the chance to to be picked up by or transferred to a magnetic coil, os i fail to see the argument of simplicity or purity. There are very few serious sound system designs which do not employ dsp for loudspeaker control and most of this music is made using samples or digital synths.
freeeeeee
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Der geile Ami wrote:Just about all electronic music is digital at some point before it even has the chance to to be picked up by or transferred to a magnetic coil, os i fail to see the argument of simplicity or purity. There are very few serious sound system designs which do not employ dsp for loudspeaker control and most of this music is made using samples or digital synths.
to go even further with your point, usually the vinyl press is given the track on a DAT (or nowadays something else), so indeed it is very much a digital thing at first. however, professional studio grade DAC is used to record onto vinyl, a DAC which is much better quality than found in any cdj or consumer level unit. also, harsh digital audio sounds different when it comes off a record, the process has smoothed the sound out and added depth. also, the engineer has to master it so that it sounds good on a vinyl, to give it that "pop" and make it come alive, if he doesn't make any modifications and just blindly records to vinyl, it will sound flat and dull. so its a combination of things.

but anyway, no, not all electronic music is totally digital. in the early days, house and techno was 808s, 909s, and samples. not sure on the percentage, but today there are plenty of producers still using analog synths in their productions, ive heard most of these people live in germany ... they are very anal about their audio quality over there supposedly.

as much as their makers claim them to be, vsts today still do not sound as good as analog synths, but they're getting close.