neu-disco, nu-disco, neo-disco?

- open
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

neu-disco, nu-disco, neo-disco?

Post by stevësto »

Is this type of music getting big in europe? There are some tracks that i think are very similiar to some minimal tracks, and so i wonder if any dj has mixed this type of music with minimal house? and if so do you have any recommendations of djs / mixes i can hear from them?

here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMzZDNVP6kk

actually, if you have an open mind to music other than mnml, you really, really, really must check out:

hercules & love affair - their debut album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOVdEw0hDg&NR=1

if you get past the initial shock of the gay sound of it, you can look past that and hear great lyrics with much spiritual meaning. the entire album is so well masterfully crafted from start to finish, it truly is a modern day masterpiece of our era, i mean that. its so addictive to listen to the whole thing, the tracks make such great sense the order they are in on the tracklisting.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah herc & la album was pretty big in europe. i dunno, its all just dance music really, isnt it?
adelaideperson
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: neu-disco, nu-disco, neo-disco?

Post by adelaideperson »

stevësto wrote:if you get past the initial shock of the gay sound of it,

:lol:
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

I mix this stuff all the time and was going to use it for a chilled out event tonight of artists/musicians meeting each other. I guess my take on it is more neo-psychedelia dance stuff than disco, but who cares about the labels.

Some other artists I'd recommend... Some of these may be extremely obvious, but then I'm not sure how much you guys venture outside mnml/techno/house/etc.

- Cosmo Vitelli
Cool psychedelic influences.
http://www.myspace.com/cosmovitelli

- Zombi
Kind of progressive rock with a huge techno influence. Check the song Sapphire here:
(http://www.myspace.com/zombi)

- Antony & The Johnsons
Not dance at all -- weird folk stuff, but Antony is the one responsible for that "gay voice" in Hercules & Love Affair. Get ready for more shock...
(http://www.myspace.com/antonyandthejohnsons)

- LCD Soundsystem
Obvious one. Very hit or miss (usually miss for me), but the DFA label is a big proponent of this retro + techno sound. Met James Murphy at a gig in Osaka and he was really cool -- an MMA fighter too! Ignore the "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" trash, go for the remixes and an album called "45:33", which is all atmospheric, instrumental dance stuff composed for a Nike "workout track"(!?). Dunno who'd workout to it besides hipsters and maybe the aforementioned Antony...

- Prins Thomas
Very cool DJ mixes that flow through rare 70s/80s to modern stuff.

- Lindstrom
Also obvious, but he has a new album out that supposed to be similar. Older stuff is good, and he works with Prins Thomas sometimes.

- Silver Apples
These guys actually put out their first album in 1968 but nobody heard of them til the 90's. The first time I heard this I couldn't believe it wasn't from 2000 or after, much less 19fucking68! I'm recommending them because I frequently mix their old albums in with the above stuff.

- Black Devil Disco Club
Exact same thing as Silver Apples. They put out an album about 30 years ago, it resurfaced and got them popular, and nobody believed the album was actually 30 years old because it sounds so modern. They've recorded two albums since resurfacing.

Check the Gomma record label too... Munk and all that.

Hercules & Love Affair are still kind of in a league of their own as far as any kind of revival of this sound is concerned though. I'd mostly play old, psyched out disco tracks that fit the profile -- if you want more recommendations of that kind of older stuff after this, just ask.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

LCD Soundsystem's fabric cd is probs one of my favourite of all time i reckon... some great track on there..

also check out pilooski from Dirty Soundsystem.

also dj mixes from Optimo...

and Maurice Fulton. quality disco DJ...

whether all these folk fall into nu disco i'm not sure.... but they're certainly doing it right at the moment..
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

Environ!

Daniel Wang, Morgan Geist, Kelley Polar
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Radius Records
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

This stuff have been pretty big a few years now.